• Yes

Votes: 106 87.6%
  • They are Ok

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Pics
First pic of the black bird standing..... Looks like an Aussie to me.

Same pic..... I think I see a rooooooooster. :oops:
Rhode island or production red per chance?
Yea Im pretty sure that I got at least 6 different breeds mixed up with my 11 EES and Wyandottes. Lol. They have been a mystery . I enjoy them very much. The mysterious features and difference in each of them has been exciting.

I am getting suspicious about my australorp. Is she rooster or pullet? Hasn't crowed but she hates being held. She/he is 14.5 weeks
DSC07511.JPG
DSC07475.JPG

Alexa that is a girl!! If she were a boy you would have seen that much comb at three to four weeks.
Eggs are in your future from her. I am thinking she will lay at 20 to 21 weeks.

Silkies.jpg
A picture of my Silkie hen and roo from the Preloved advert. I saw they were for sale nearby and fell in love at first sight, and so I got them. They settled in fast and it didn't take long, just 2 weeks, for the hen to go broody and start sitting on her eggs. The rooster sat besides her nestbox keeping watch over her during that time.

Sadly the hen didn't take to the 5 chicks after they hatched, so I raised them. The rooster acted aggressive towards them, heck, 3 days ago I had to stop him from chasing the chicks around the yard and terrorizing them, but that was only because the hen was doing the same. 2 months later and the 5 cottonballs are more like chicken shaped cotton, and the hen has gone broody again on 5 eggs.

This time the rooster grew rather lonely, following me around and laying in the hallway, feeling bad, I brought him in the room and sat down with him on my lap while the chicks were out. The chicks started pecking at his comb and wattles, but he didn't seem to care and would have probably let them continue if I didn't poke at them to make them stop. Afterwards the chicks snuggled up to him and he just let them.

The next day he was completely different towards them when I let them out, instead of chasing, he was carefully watching over them and came running whenever he heard one squeak. Even when the hen was giving her eggs a breather due to the heat, as she started chasing and pecking at the chicks, the rooster stood back unsure on what to do.

I decided on letting the chicks, who are now too big for their brooding pen, to sleep in the kitchen with their parents tonight. I was worried, but I left them in there with the rooster. I then checked back about an hour later and found the rooster had gone into mama mode, with the chicks, who are about as tall as him when standing upright, all snuggled under and against him fast asleep. They awoke when they heard me and came running, so I gave them all some treats and the rooster started offering them to the babies while food chuckling, practically dropping the little bits of cheese and carrot into their beaks, and then when one of the youngster roos started food peeping, leaned down to see what he had but didn't take it, letting another chick take it instead.

When I left the room, I hid behind the door to watch. The rooster went to get some water from the bowl and the chicks all followed behind him and did the same, then he went back to the corner with the babies all following to go back to snuggling. The chicks still take following priority to me, but they have accepted the roo as a parent it seems.
Cuddle Birb.png
He is very docile and prefers to keep a respectful distance to me, but can be cuddly when he wants to be. He rarely jumps, only ever jumping and pecking at you if you mess with his hen, which I am fine with as that is just in his nature.

Rooster.png
He is very doting to his mate, when out and about the two are practically glued to one-another. Though he can be a little pushy at times when it comes to mating, he doesn't become aggressive or try and force her to mate with him. If she moves to get away, he lets go and continues foraging with her.

Rooroo2.png

When the flock is out ... does 'she' stand tall, keeping an eye out, or does she scan the ground looking for forage? The tail feathers might be starting to look longer at 14.5 weeks also, and 'her' feathers might take on a greater beetle-green sheen than other australorp hens.

Back
Top Bottom