The run is loaded with flies

I'm in New England and this year i will certainly be bagging up every leaf I can. The dry leaves are gold in the winter
Thanks. I'll check that out too. I'm on the "free wood chips" list so in a few months I will have those and leaves...which will be plenty!

Yesterday I weeded my yard and am adding those in as well as pine needles I have already. I actually managed to end up with a light layer in the run with all that. I'm adding more today.

I also purchased pine straw online...just a box full but hoping that in combination with regularly adding my own yard stuff will be enough. Then, come fall...am abundance of stuff!

I use those ugly sticky fly strips. Work like a charm.
I think I'm going to get a few to hang from the run ceiling. I already have sunflowers hanging and drying. Nice tall roof so i dont see a reason not to get the hanging fly strips. Last year i had mulch dropped off and I had zero flies! This mulch is one year old now and i got rid of most of it when i raked out the run this early spring. I wish i didnt, but, i added wayyyy too much hay in the winter and i had to get it out! Wayyyy too much hay....never again. I will collect leaves and pine needles for the winter. I was so nervous they were eating the hay and who knows what it was sprayed with or whatever. I need to go all natural all the way or I feel i am doing a disservice to my friends. 🤷‍♀️🐓❤️

Does hosing down the run help?
Yes, hosing down the run will definitely help you get more flies. 🤣

Depending on how large your run is, a few bags of pine shavings should help you out. TSC sells 8cuft bags for like $6 (after tax) where I live. Go get yourself a few bags and fill the run & coop. It will help the poop dry out as long as your coop and run are dry and birds aren't spilling their water and stuff. It'll slowly decompose over time and on the bright side, the pine should be a "brown" to add carbon to your chicken's "green," high-nitrogen content poop, so when you do a deep clean on the run, you'll have some good stuff for the compost pile.

Last edited:
My girls run is suddenly loaded with flies. How do I safely rid the run of them? Obviously can't use poison. What's effective but safe? And how do I prevent this from being a routine issue?
I had the same problem with my run as well. We had actually gone out there and scooped out about 4 inches off the top of bedding and poop and food. To get down to the dirt. But I think we probhad about 1000 or more. I ran up to the store and bought some fly strips, and hung them high away from my birds, and I bought a fly trap bag. That was AMAZING! I actually hung it right In The run until it was too full. It has an attractant that the flies love. We lost one of our hens because she freaked out when The flies swarmed her. I’m going to get another one for just in case they come back. But it’s suggested to keep it away from your porch and coop and put it out in your yard somewhere. It will attract the flies away from your coop and your porch. Meijer has them for sure.

Yes, hosing down the run will definitely help you get more flies. 🤣

Depending on how large your run is, a few bags of pine shavings should help you out. TSC sells 8cuft bags for like $6 (after tax) where I live. Go get yourself a few bags and fill the run & coop. It will help the poop dry out as long as your coop and run are dry and birds aren't spilling their water and stuff. It'll slowly decompose over time and on the bright side, the pine should be a "brown" to add carbon to your chicken's "green," high-nitrogen content poop, so when you do a deep clean on the run, you'll have some good stuff for the compost pile.
ahhh, the water truly does explain it. I have been spraying down the run a little too much to help with the hot, hot days. We have had good rain; and i have compacted soil so theres that too. I have been adding fresh lawn clippings maybe too often. There is an imbalance of green/brown i believe. Moving forward, i will let the grass clipping dry first. Come on cool trees! Share your leaves!.... just kidding, I am certainly not rushing to have Fall season be here. Although, this fall I will collect all the down leaves and bag them and cover them with a tarp to use in the run during the cold cold winters. I think 1 bag a week would suffice. Thats about 20 bags with a couple to spare. ideally I would love making them leaf paths on top of the snow so they can "go out on the town" so to say, lol They feel all "cooped up" after a couple weeks. no pun intended, :wee
:yesss:

ahhh, the water truly does explain it. I have been spraying down the run a little too much to help with the hot, hot days. We have had good rain; and i have compacted soil so theres that too. I have been adding fresh lawn clippings maybe too often. There is an imbalance of green/brown i believe. Moving forward, i will let the grass clipping dry first. Come on cool trees! Share your leaves!.... just kidding, I am certainly not rushing to have Fall season be here. Although, this fall I will collect all the down leaves and bag them and cover them with a tarp to use in the run during the cold cold winters. I think 1 bag a week would suffice. Thats about 20 bags with a couple to spare. ideally I would love making them leaf paths on top of the snow so they can "go out on the town" so to say, lol They feel all "cooped up" after a couple weeks. no pun intended, :wee
:yesss:
Ashcons, thanks for the tidbits about the Nitrogen/Carbon ~!

I'm in the city so unfortunately no. I am going to see if I can gather some of my.pine needles though and spread those. I'm assuming that would help?

What about a mix of pine needles and mulch for now?

I'm also ordering the fly trap.
if you're in the city I guarantee you some of your neighbours will be putting out a big paper bag of their lawn and garden waste soon. take it and spread it, just check for any bits of garbage that might be in there

if you're in the city I guarantee you some of your neighbours will be putting out a big paper bag of their lawn and garden waste soon. take it and spread it, just check for any bits of garbage that might be in there
I'd be concerned not knowing about other peoples' herbicide/pesticide usage in regards to using their yard waste for compost or whatever. Even if you don't see your neighbors out spraying, it's possible they have a service provider doing that during work hours.

I'd be concerned not knowing about other peoples' herbicide/pesticide usage in regards to using their yard waste for compost or whatever. Even if you don't see your neighbors out spraying, it's possible they have a service provider doing that during work hours.
x2. If you have neighbors you're friendly with, you can ask them about what they use on their lawn/plants, and if their yard care regimen is chicken friendly, tell them you'd like to truck off some of their yard waste. Win win, saves them money (and some time if you're willing to rake it up yourself) and gets you free litter.

Back
Top Bottom