The saddest day so far with chickens

So sorry about your chickens. I lost all my guineys one year - it's very sad.

I completely agree with those who say get more chicks right away.

I lost my first dog around 5 years ago to old age and cried for 8 months. Then I finally got another dog. Lost him to an accident the next year and told myself I wasn't going to cry for another year so I went and got the first dog I could find - didn't like the new dog at all the first week...wanted to give him back, thought he was ugly, and now he's my second best dog. So even if you don't like the idea of new chickens, I advise getting them.

Warm wishes to you at this time. The sun will shine again in your backyard someday.

N. VA

I am so sorry for your loss. I have not had this experience, thank goodness, but the heads eaten off and no obvious point of entry sounds like the classic work of a weasel or mink. Have a look around for the tiny holes (as small as a half inch -- seriously -- if they can't fit they will work to enlarge it) and plug them up! Good luck and have fun with your new flock!

I'm very, very sorry for your loss...and it is indeed a tragic loss. I had a similar situation happen to me...heads missing, partially eaten bodies. Lost everyone of my carefully selected flock. I swore I would never have birds again.

Take some time off to regroup...rethink and when you are ready start looking for new birds. It took me about a month before I could even think about getting more birds.

I drove 4 hrs round trip to get my speckled sussex pullet.
smile.png
I was so excited to get her. Best of luck to you.

Billyj, I remember when that happened to you. I'm so glad to hear that you fixed your coop and you're getting birds again! Good luck to you and congratulations on your future chicks.
fl.gif
wee.gif

Sooo sorry about your bird's.I lost quite a few this year due to pesky coon's,hawk's and most likely fox.Coon's etc. are fairly easy to trap.Invest in a good live trap.They won't cover hawk's(i hate them)and fox and coyote are pretty hard to trap also.But sound's like racoon with the head's and carnage.Racoon's killed 5 out of 9 of my Millie's and I thought had secure run Grrrrrrrrrrrr.Good Luck, I hope you get some more babie's and whack those pesky predator's.Hugzzzzzzzzz for you and your lost one's.
hugs.gif

Raising chickens is not easy, there are so many things that can go wrong. They're so worth it though.
tongue.png

Hey Billy.

I agree with what everyone else has said, once you get the coop secured, then it's time for those fluffy little butts to warm your heart over the winter months.

hugs.gif

So sorry for your losses, but the sun will shine again to warm the sand and dirt the girls just love to bathe in!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom