the silkie slickers

Pics
Hi everyone,
is anyone currently selling started silkie pullets or do you know of anyone that is? One of my silkie hens have passed at 8 years of age and now her 6 month old buddy is currently living alone and she could really use a flock mate. Thanks!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs

That's a tough one. It's really hard to find started pullets. I see hatchery like pullets advertised on craigslist in my area every few months or so though.

I think a lot of breeders try to sell as pairs and often don't let a single pullet go. You might be able to get ahold of a local breeder and see if they have any pet quality pullets. Usually chicks with faults obvious at hatch are sold early but there are other issues that can pop up later that make them unsuitable for breeding. Wry tail (scoliosis), chickens with obviously crooked beaks, and some cross beaks can all pop up later and a breeder might let those go as pets without making you take a cockerel. As long as the issues aren't so severe they can generally go about their chicken business they could make good companions and pets. They may also have some that just really don't grow out well enough type wise etc for them to try to sell it as a breeder.

I guess is depends on the breeder though. Some may just put those birds down when they see the problem developing, or if they are lucky they just don't have that popping up in their flock.

I hope someone else will be able to be more helpful, I just don't see pullets available very often and when I do they seem to get snatched up quickly.

Good luck finding your little one a friend!

My silkie hen with her babies. She's a first time mom and doing great.

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_140736.jpg
    IMG_20200826_140736.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom