The Sizzle Thread!

Can you tell the sex of a sizzle by the size and amount of foot feathering? I have a couple sizzle chicks who are growing much faster than the others. They also seem to have more leg and foot feathering. I can post some pictures when I get home. I know silkies are near impossible to sex until they are either crowing or laying.

From the few sizzles I have, I don't know if there is a standard size Sizzle. Our frizzled is larger, probably from the Cochin influence (hens to 8ibs.) while our smooth feathered is much smaller about the size of a Silkie (1 to 1.5 lbs.). Hopefully, the experienced breeders can add some comments on this.

Just purchased this awesome little pullet, I've never seen one like her. She is a silver pencilled sizzle. The parents where a silkie over a sizzle. No idea what colour they were but I do know she is the only one they had with this colouring in the entire flock.

I'm hoping someone on here with a better understanding of genetics can help me decide what colour/breed of roo to use to try and get more like her if possible.

Just purchased this awesome little pullet, I've never seen one like her. She is a silver pencilled sizzle. The parents where a silkie over a sizzle. No idea what colour they were but I do know she is the only one they had with this colouring in the entire flock.
I'm hoping someone on here with a better understanding of genetics can help me decide what colour/breed of roo to use to try and get more like her if possible.
Absolutely beautiful! How much did you buy her for if you don't mind me asking!
In my opinion, I would try a smooth sizzle splash coloring or maybe just light grey! Love the color!

This is I think a young hen with interesting coloring. I am going to breed her to a smooth buff or a smooth splash.

I think I would pair her with a silver partridge Silkie rooster. She is beautiful, but her crest is lacking a bit. If you can find a really nice SP smooth Sizzle rooster to balance her out, that would be ideal. But, it might be difficult to locate one. A SP Silkie would probably be easier to track down :)
Love her!

Thank you, I love her too. She is four months old, and the sweetest little girl ever. I paid $40 for her without a second thought lol. The sweet lady I bought her from was in tears and I felt awful for her, but when she can have chickens again I will be giving her some babies. Your silkies are gorgeous too by the way!

An update, our dark grey sizzle turns out to be a rooster!? That may explain the size difference. He is a good, docile bird, and I have placed a "no crow" collar on him. So far he isn't too loud or talkative, but time will tell.

So, I'm probing here to get some opinions, what does everyone think of large fowl Sizzles?

I've been kicking around the idea of starting another project for some time, and I love my Sizzles :love I think it would be fun to have them in a standard sized version. I've never seen any, though I'm sure someone out there has probably already done it. My broodies hatched 2 barred Rock/Sizzle crosses. Theyre both frizzled, are getting barring and have extra toes. If head spot sexing holds true for them (which it may not, I don't know) their head spots and black feathering would mean they're both girls. One of them has dark skin but a yellow beak. The other has pigment holes all over. Theyre both lacking in the foot feathering department, but that can be easily fixed. I'm just not sure who to breed them to, to stick with my goal of making them larger and keeping them looking like Sizzles. Hmmm. Maybe a couple of LF Cochin hens under one of my Sizzle roosters would be a better start?

So, I'm probing here to get some opinions, what does everyone think of large fowl Sizzles?

I've been kicking around the idea of starting another project for some time, and I love my Sizzles :love I think it would be fun to have them in a standard sized version. I've never seen any, though I'm sure someone out there has probably already done it. My broodies hatched 2 barred Rock/Sizzle crosses. Theyre both frizzled, are getting barring and have extra toes. If head spot sexing holds true for them (which it may not, I don't know) their head spots and black feathering would mean they're both girls. One of them has dark skin but a yellow beak. The other has pigment holes all over. Theyre both lacking in the foot feathering department, but that can be easily fixed. I'm just not sure who to breed them to, to stick with my goal of making them larger and keeping them looking like Sizzles. Hmmm. Maybe a couple of LF Cochin hens under one of my Sizzle roosters would be a better start?
It sounds like a interesting idea. I just got a frizzle so when I hatched the eggs I hope for some sizzles as our roo is a silkie. Anthor one I'm hoping for is some larger silkie from breeding cross my RIR hen. Now if I could get a RIR silkie and RIR frizzy in large that would make a good sizzle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom