The Sizzle Thread!

I recognize these beautiful birds from your blog. I'm on my first generation sizzle now. Lots of experimenting to do. I have a question about the rose comb. How many generations before you got your first blue rose?

Thank you. Sizzles are quite a heavy duty project so I love it when someone appreciates them.

Sizzles are supposed to have a deep mulberry colored walnut comb, just like a Silkie. But now that you mention it, I suppose I probably got some blue rose combs along the way. I'm not sure exactly when I got the first ones, but I can tell you that I'm still getting them as I just had one crop up in a 10th gen. rooster.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your Sizzle project & will probably learn more about genetics that you ever want to know - at least I did. However, if I had it to do over, I would buy eggs or birds from others that were a few generations ahead of me & had already gone through the rough spots. It would have saved me a lot of headaches! The first generation is very encouraging - you get some birds that are really yucky (though usually kind of "cute" yucky) & you'll probably get a few that are actually a pretty good representative of what a Sizzle should be. You'll think "Wow, look at me. I made a Sizzle!!" Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there & you'll be lucky to get much of anything even remotely resembling a Sizzle for the next few generations. At least that was my experience but maybe others have done better & will chime in about their Sizzle projects.

Also, here's a friendly word of warning. We all know that Silkies are addictive but I want to tell you that Sizzles are every bit as bad. Plus, to make matters worse, your Sizzle project is going to give you some adorable Frizzled Silkies, & they're just as addictive as Silkies & Sizzles. I hope you have a coop builder in your family!! lol
Here are some of my Frizzled Silkies.

Good Luck!!
Sheri

Thank you. Sizzles are quite a heavy duty project so I love it when someone appreciates them.

Sizzles are supposed to have a deep mulberry colored walnut comb, just like a Silkie. But now that you mention it, I suppose I probably got some blue rose combs along the way. I'm not sure exactly when I got the first ones, but I can tell you that I'm still getting them as I just had one crop up in a 10th gen. rooster.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your Sizzle project & will probably learn more about genetics that you ever want to know - at least I did. However, if I had it to do over, I would buy eggs or birds from others that were a few generations ahead of me & had already gone through the rough spots. It would have saved me a lot of headaches! The first generation is very encouraging - you get some birds that are really yucky (though usually kind of "cute" yucky) & you'll probably get a few that are actually a pretty good representative of what a Sizzle should be. You'll think "Wow, look at me. I made a Sizzle!!" Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there & you'll be lucky to get much of anything even remotely resembling a Sizzle for the next few generations. At least that was my experience but maybe others have done better & will chime in about their Sizzle projects.

Also, here's a friendly word of warning. We all know that Silkies are addictive but I want to tell you that Sizzles are every bit as bad. Plus, to make matters worse, your Sizzle project is going to give you some adorable Frizzled Silkies, & they're just as addictive as Silkies & Sizzles. I hope you have a coop builder in your family!! lol
Here are some of my Frizzled Silkies.

Good Luck!!
Sheri
I have a red rose comb sizzle right now.......

I have a red rose comb sizzle right now.......

I also have a red rose comb sizzle. He is first generation. I'm going to breed him back with some silkie hens. He does have the dark feet though but not the extra toe. If I breed him back it will strengthen the silkie gene. Next year will be a busy year for me. I have some new cochin bantams. Mottled & black & this blood line seems much more sedate. They came from a different hatchery. I'm curious to see how many breedings this will take. Frizzle roosters can be so aggressive when it comes to breeding. I have 2 in my yard breeding with everything. I even got a seabright frizzle. Shes much smaller than the rest. I have a waiting list of ppl waiting for birds

Glad I stumbled upon this thread! I wanted a frizzled anything for so long. Finally convinced a local breeder to sell me his sizzle - he didn't even know it was a sizzle! He called it his guard chicken, and thought it was just a silkie. I only have ONE of his babies as of yet, but it looks to be a sizzle as well - as far as I know anyway!
3f8dbc28.jpg
George
_MG_6629.jpg
_MG_6632.jpg
He had a lot of his head feathers plucked out from a fight or something in his previous home. He's got a lot of new feathers growing in, and is looking better and better.
63fcdf0b.jpg
Here is his one baby - sizzle?

Country~ Here are some pictures of Spike~

[COLOR=005CB1]

[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
He is our only rooster!
He is a handsome boy! Do you know what you call his coloring? Do you know what his parents look like? At the moment all I have is white. I have a black frizzle almost grown I will breed before the end of the summer. Then next year I'm frizzling all color cochen. I don't want to get stuck with just breeding 1 kind. I'm hoping they get the improvements on posting pics here done soon. I can't post here til they do. I just have 2 of my boy posted in my album for now. I have over 100 birds & only a few in my album. Adding daily.

aoxa - You have a nice start on Sizzles with George. He's very nice & it looks like he has a good Silkie comb, which is one of the hardest things to get. It looks to me like your baby is a Frizzled Silkie but it's hard to tell at that age.

discohen - Spike is adorable! I love his mohawk. You'll have a lot of work to do with his skin & comb color but the comb is flat so that's a start.

I think you're both starting off better than I did. I bred a beautiful SQ frizzled btm Cochin to a gorgeous SQ Silkie hen & the birds below were the best I got. But we entered the hen in the country fair & she got me a lot of orders for chicks so I was off & running. Good luck to both of you on your current & future Sizzles.

Back
Top Bottom