The Smithies, the $5 "Ayam Cemani" black meat bird

In order to be able to feather sex, you need a roo with the fast-feathering gene and a hen with the slow feathering gene (sometimes called the delayed feathering gene). When the fast-feathering roos is mated to the slow-feathering hen, the resulting chicks will be able to be sexed because the females will have fast-feathering and the males will be slow-feathering.

In other words, the wings of the female chicks will show some tall feathers and some short feathers on their little wings. The male chicks will only show short feathers.

Since many Leghorns carry the required genes, it is unlikely that the Leghorns blood in the Smithies have the required genes. However, you would have to know the the roo specifically has the fast-feathering gene and the hen has the delayed-feathering gene. It would take generations of banding (or a DNA test) to determine whether or not they have these genes.

Might be easier to learn vent sexing.

Sorry, very bad lighting and from a camera phone(last picture), which makes his face look darker than it really is. But here is what one can expect a male from the "Smithies" to look like at 6-7 months old

2.5 months

to currently 6-7 months old

Last edited:
The only way to sex day old chicks that are FM is by vent sexing.  I am learning it but maybe my eyes are just getting old.  You can also do it by behavior.  The boys will jump back but still be on alert if you move your finger towards them.   But I think the behavior method only works for 3 week olds.  And sometimes they crow.  I have a 5 week old Svart boy that crows to let me know that something is in the feed bowl.

My SH cockeral, Odin, does that. Especially at night. We heard something making a scratching sound the other morning about 2 am and Odin crowed 10 times then stopped. I think it was the cat. Then yesterday after dusk I refilled everyone's water after getting home late and he crowed 3 times. He is much more aware of danger and properly warning everyone then my older cockerels/Jr roos.

@DCchicken
How have you noted your roos protection abilities. The black skinned birds vs the others, I.e., more jungle capable? My Silkie roo watches for every hen/pullet to return to the pen like he's counting heads, as well as the other Jr roos. The other two roos in that pen are Legbars and only care if my 4 legbars show up. They roost on a suspended roost and everyone else cuddles together in a box nest/roost. Except that their all adults I'd worry about them smothering each other. But I digress somewhat. My point is that Odin the SH is also seeming much more aware and protective even though he's my youngest of the near adults.

My SH cockeral, Odin, does that. Especially at night. We heard something making a scratching sound the other morning about 2 am and Odin crowed 10 times then stopped. I think it was the cat. Then yesterday after dusk I refilled everyone's water after getting home late and he crowed 3 times. He is much more aware of danger and properly warning everyone then my older cockerels/Jr roos.

@DCchicken
How have you noted your roos protection abilities. The black skinned birds vs the others, I.e., more jungle capable? My Silkie roo watches for every hen/pullet to return to the pen like he's counting heads, as well as the other Jr roos. The other two roos in that pen are Legbars and only care if my 4 legbars show up. They roost on a suspended roost and everyone else cuddles together in a box nest/roost. Except that their all adults I'd worry about them smothering each other. But I digress somewhat. My point is that Odin the SH is also seeming much more aware and protective even though he's my youngest of the near adults.
Protective behavior is not really a trait that is linked to the FM gene. I have 15 rare breeds. Even in the same breed of those 15 breeds, there is a lot of variation in the protective behavior of roos. Some will abandon the hens and save themselves at the sight of a fox. Others will fight the fox to their death. If you have a good roo, then treat him right. Those are my favorite kind. But be careful as the protective behavior can flip on you and turn into human aggression if the roo ever thinks you are the threat. I have a Birchen Marans roo that can jump to shoulder height and attack with his spurs. He does this every chance he can, especially whenever I am collecting eggs.

But because of the value of my Svart Hona and Cemani, I keep them in reinforced welded wire pens with electric fencing. My biggest predator is actually the two legged kind.

Protective behavior is not really a trait that is linked to the FM gene.  I have 15 rare breeds.  Even in the same breed of those 15 breeds, there is a lot of variation in the protective behavior of roos.  Some will abandon the hens and save themselves at the sight of a fox.  Others will fight the fox to their death.  If you have a good roo, then treat him right.  Those are my favorite kind.  But be careful as the protective behavior can flip on you and turn into human aggression if the roo ever thinks you are the threat.  I have a Birchen Marans roo that can jump to shoulder height and attack with his spurs.  He does this every chance he can, especially whenever I am collecting eggs.

But because of the value of my Svart Hona and Cemani, I keep them in reinforced welded wire pens with electric fencing.  My biggest predator is actually the two legged kind.

My wolfies keep me abreast of anything out of sorts...a cat or even a roadrunner ...when anyone or anything comes and steps on even the back far end of the 26 acres they let me know...not many uninvited wish to continue after that...even bear no longer come near our property...which makes our adjacent neighbors happy too...no coyotes, bobcats, stray dogs, feral cats...or humans..freeranging haven't lost a single bird .
If I had a roo like that he'd be replaced and in a pot likety split...I won't tolerate a overzealous rooster who forgets who's hand feeds him.

My freerange roos also keep all ravens off the property..we also don't see birds of prey..no owl, no hawks , no falcons or eagles ...nothing. We used to have over a hundred taking over the horse pens and harrassing the horses...pooping in their water troughs...messy disease
carriers.

Lol. The wolfies even tattle on the horses when they do anything they shouldn't. One thinks my chickens and chicks are his babies...at least he cares for them as if they are...when I have any little black babies hatching he asks to see through the incubator clear plastic...he gets to greet them when they're transfered to a brooder box and chastises me when I've picked one up making it peep loudly...supervising me put the chick back in with the rest..of course he then has to put his whole head in so I can't see anything and touch his nose to them all bonding I guess...or imprinting.DC I hope you haven't lost any birds to theives. Can you put motion sensor alarms in? There must be something you can do.

My wolfies keep me abreast of anything out of sorts...a cat or even a roadrunner ...

Lol. The wolfies even tattle on the horses when they do anything they shouldn't. One thinks my chickens and chicks are his babies...at least he cares for them as if they are...when I have any little black babies hatching he asks to see through the incubator clear plastic...he gets to greet them when they're transfered to a brooder box and chastises me when I've picked one up making it peep loudly...supervising me put the chick back in with the rest..of course he then has to put his whole head in so I can't see anything and touch his nose to them all bonding I guess...or imprinting.DC I hope you haven't lost any birds to theives. Can you put motion sensor alarms in? There must be something you can do.

Odin set the alarm about three this morning. Tommy went out to see what was wrong and found four of my Blue American Bresse juveniles up past curfew eating at the pig trough, I.e., the feeder. Apparently Odin felt this was inappropriate conduct and the warden should be notified. He crowed 4 times. Now if we can just figure out the code:

3 crows = the family cat lurking
4 crows = breaking curfew...
10 crows = something sinister making scratching sounds near the pens!

Last edited:
 If you have a good roo, then treat him right.  Those are my favorite kind.  But be careful as the protective behavior can flip on you and turn into human aggression if the roo ever thinks you are the threat.  I have a Birchen Marans roo that can jump to shoulder height and attack with his spurs.  He does this every chance he can, especially whenever I am collecting eggs.

I will carefully monitor his behavior with maturing. He's still pretty young, and despite his bravado against the other roosters in establishing ranking (everyone currently free ranges together), he tends to hide behind Freyja when it comes to people. However as I have been attacked and significantly injured by dogs before, I don't take any animal for granted. I always assume that any and all have the potential for dangerous behaviors, especially when it comes to mamas and papas.

Thanks, I prefer to learn from the teaching of others and not through my own follies ;)

Last edited:
DC I hope you haven't lost any birds to theives. Can you put motion sensor alarms in? There must be something you can do.
I usually greet all unknown people carrying my crossbow. No one steals from a guy carrying a crossbow. At night the cages are all locked up with deadbolts.

Back
Top Bottom