The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've hatched a lot of eggs and never had one explode. The only one I've ever had even get stinky was one that had a crack I didn't notice when I set it. I set them, and walk away until lockdown. In fact, I have to put a reminder in my calendar to pop up and remind me to lock 'em down. Otherwise I forget and then wonder what the heck all that loud cheeping is after they hatch.
roll.png

IME, the weight difference in the eggs at lockdown is enough that you shouldn't even need to candle to know whether you've got a chick in there or not. They're easy to differentiate just by holding them in your hand.

ok, step-away-from-the-bator!
I wish i had one of those easy bators........ oh well. Any chance at another of my hen's babies is enough for me. It won't bring her back, but the egg that looks good is one that is long and funky, like the one her daughter came out of, my biggest chick that is now my lap baby in her momma's place. :) I have to open it at lockdown to put in the meter, but i'll do it quick and TAPE it!

Last edited:
I've hatched a lot of eggs and never had one explode. The only one I've ever had even get stinky was one that had a crack I didn't notice when I set it. I set them, and walk away until lockdown. In fact, I have to put a reminder in my calendar to pop up and remind me to lock 'em down. Otherwise I forget and then wonder what the heck all that loud cheeping is after they hatch.
roll.png

IME, the weight difference in the eggs at lockdown is enough that you shouldn't even need to candle to know whether you've got a chick in there or not. They're easy to differentiate just by holding them in your hand.

I've incubated literally thousands of eggs over the years and never had one explode til last year. I didn't even know it would explode so easily. I did see a crack in it and it was weeping for sure so I took it out and mistakenly walked it into the kitchen. It exploded in my face! OMG it was awful! The explosion was so loud it woke my BF up in the back room! It took us 2 hours to clean stuff up but I had that smell in my nose for a good 2 weeks! Now I know how to recognize it and if one is weeping I use a plastic bag to pick it up before i even take it out of the bator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom