The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nooooo
!
Not that kind of fang, it's more of a grimace than a smile. I only smile when i'm doing stuff i like, like hugging chickens. I can't just bust one out for the camera.

What are the odds of a broody silkie staying broody when moved?

Ya, i totally squint too. Or make faces. I had to do a lot of takes to get a decent one :)

my teeth aren't straight either.
sigh

Last edited:
It's not THE recipe i use, but an easy one for crust.
Uses the french method of kneading, so has to be rested.

1 1/2 c flour pinch in with fingertips
1 stick (8 Tb) butter

1/4 ts salt mix and stir into the crumbs.
1/4 c. water knead a few times until it holds together
rest at least half an hour.

*Another version uses only 5 Tb of butter, but increases the water to 4-6 Tb.

The beauty of using the french vs. the american way is that since the crust's gluten is activated, you can roll it really thin! Resting it at least half an hour or more ensures it's not tough. It won't fall apart on you when you try to pick it off the counter! If i remember correct, you don't have to flour the counter before rolling the first one. To get it off the counter i hold one edge against the rolling pin and use the pin to wrap the crust around, hold gently and unroll over the pie pan. Or skillet, in my case
:p

If you don't wanna make a whole pie you can also cut it into squares and put filling into them. Then fold corners together, corners together again. I bake my pies at 350 until the tops are golden, custards (pecan and pumpkin too) bake at the bottom and fruit pies start at the bottom of the oven and switch to the middle halfway through. (A pie-pro's tip.)

Last edited:
I was never good at crust either until i discovered the french recipes! I thought it was me but turns out our way stinks!

My favorite secret crust uses an egg and a ts of vinegar, sounds weird but turns out a perfectly thin flakey crust every time. Just google french crusts, or "no fail" crusts. I suppose any recipe could be kneaded, but it should rest. The more the better; my favorite recipie with the egg's original instructions call for covering it on the counter overnight! Far different than the "keep it as cold as possible" usual way. Oddly enough i ate some of the "aged" crust and not only did it NOT make me sick, it actually was good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom