The Specific Age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sekeyslaks, Sep 23, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello everyone![​IMG]

I have recently been asked to raise baby chicks for a client and I would like to know what age chickens have all their feathers grown out?because that's the age I'm growing them to!Thanks for the help!

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    That's kind of a random quantifier and can vary widely, esp depending on how you define "all their feathers grown out" (does that mean fully out of chick fuzz or fully feathered adult?). If they want them coop ready, that's probably somewhere between 8 weeks and 16 weeks depending on the breed, sex, and the kind of weather they will have to deal with.

3. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Yeah sorry I guess that is a little random![​IMG] I mean when they are past the gangly stage have their adult feather's but aren't laying yet age!wow that was a mouthful....I don't know the detail's of my order yet(like the breed,etc.) I just need an approximate idea of how long I can keep them cause I can't keep them with my adults.so they have limited time with me age wise.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Well POL is usually somewhere around 16-20 weeks depending on the breed, so you'd probably be looking at 14-16 weeks.

5. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    After looking at the different posts on here I think 8 weeks is okay!I just need coop ready!Thanks for the help HighStreetCoop![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by