The strangest thing you have ever eaten

Quote:
th.gif
I just made brownies with flour in it.....
he.gif
Oh well. Like you said, good protein.

there are more bugs in our diet than most may realize.

cochineal extract (aka carmine or carminic acid) is made from little red bugs and used to color food and cosmetics. it shows up in a lot of drinks and other foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

now, if everyone will excuse me, i think i go now and pick at my dinner.

I KNOW their are bugs in the food, I just dont like to think about it. blecht I meant I draw the line at PURPOSEFULLY eating one. lol

And I am OFF popcorn probably for a LONG time now, cuz I had some the other day where one bite tasted REALLY funky and I am just sure it was a bug. Of course it was dark and I was watching a movie, so I have no idea what it was, but it was NASTY. I didnt wanna look. Probably one of those whatever% allowed in our food, or whatever...yuck!

hinkjc-

The cow/gum thing:
It's not chewed up gum, it's old, past-date, unsold stale gum (and other candy) still in the wrappers. There's a study on it, I will see if I can find it.....

Well, here's stuff from the page of one of the authors, a nice man who apparently studies what non-feed materials can be fed to our beef cattle to save money but not quite kill them (I wonder if those sick cows they were loading with forklifts into the slaughterhouse -that caused the recent recall- had been fed this stuff?):

115. Wolf, B.W., L.L. Berger and G.C. Fahey, Jr. 1996. Effects of feeding return chewing gum/packaging material mixture on Performance and carcass characteristics of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2559-2565.

44. Feeler, C. B., G. R. Hrubant, L. L. Berger and D. L. Day. 1985. High-rate ensiling of beef manure and cracked corn for cattle feed. Amer. Soc. Agr. Eng. Pub. 13-85, pp 175-181.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic. This stuff just makes me so mad. I understand about being cost-effective and all, but this is just going TOO FAR. How can the American public not care that they are eating this junk? I guess if it's cheap, we can all turn a blind eye to the facts???? Grrrr...

Anyway, here is the article that got me going on this, with references to the original Journal of American Science article and about feeding "chewing gum, spent hens, and garbage".: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2008-02-01/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Beef-You-Eat.aspx

As
they say, you are what you eat!!! I think we'll be avoiding grocery-stroe beef from now on.......
Stacey

Last edited:
i think i was to mad to like it because i was tricked. you know what i mean, you don't play games with peoples food. although ive seen a few good ones.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic. This stuff just makes me so mad. I understand about being cost-effective and all, but this is just going TOO FAR. How can the American public not care that they are eating this junk? I guess if it's cheap, we can all turn a blind eye to the facts???? Grrrr...

I don't think you sound sarcastic at all...just concerned, which you have every right to be. These types of stories, including the recent fork lift one is exactly why I don't eat store bought meat.

Jody​

Back
Top Bottom