the sultan thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Good luck!

2. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Ugh, I spent the whole day baking cookies and taking care of sick kids, LOL. And of course birds... Ah well, not up to sewing yet, LOL

3. I am sure you can! it's not that hard. I made a 'coat' for Hope - my rescue and hand sewed it. I am 'sewing challanged' lol, and it turned out pretty good. I ordered two diapers from someone on here and they fit just perfect!

4. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I am getting really tired of my George attacking me. If I try to pick up anyone in "his" run he attacks me. AtmfirstmI thought it was cute, the smallest chicken thinking he is big stuff protecting his girls. Today he cut my hand open. I keep telling him he will go in the soup pot if he keeps it up. Bad sultan rooster :(

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    That's too bad. I don't tolerate aggressive roosters because you don't want them to pass on the trait to their chicks. You can try rehabilitating him (search on here for different ways to try), but if you are breeding you really shouldn't pass that trait on. I would cull since he's human aggressive :(

6. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    When he attacks me, I hang him upside down my his legs. Then I walk around with him. He is my only sultan, he is bonded with my polish. She would be heartbroken if something happened to george. They are so cute together, they have their own language.

7. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Good luck! Just know that many times the behavior is genetic and might not be fixable. But if you're willing to deal with it then go for it.

In other news, I got my first sultan egg today!!! It had blood on it, poor thing, but she was standing in the coop tossing sawdust over each shoulder. SO cute, it looked like she was celebrating haha. Now if only my silkie roo would have mounted her I would be able to hatch some silkie/sultan crosses. Oh well :)

8. cluck-cluck

I carry my roosters around a lot.... Well, I should say my cockerels. I pet them and talk to them and when I'm ready to put them down, if they make the slightest move to get away, I pick them up again, and tell them "no, I won't let you go unless you're nice!". I put them down and pet them a little longer before removing my hands, letting them know they can go.

I try not to scare them when I pick them up, I usually do it quickly when they wonder close to me, then immediately I try to be soothing and pet his wattels, etc. But I have time...? Also, they're not fully grown, only 17+ weeks, but I understand my crevies could be aggressive and hope to nip that in the bud

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I hope that by showing them daily that I'm in "loving control", not something to fear, but something to respect or that is in charge, that my boys will not become aggressive. We shall see if it works as time goes by? I really hope you can get your boy to behave!

Sweet!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    What a cute chick!!!

10. cluck-cluck

The one flapping it's wings? I know, it's an awesome picture, LOL. Taken just the right moment :)

How is everyone? Eggs in the 'bator jharper?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by