the sultan thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Nope. Instead khaki Campbell's.

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Good! I witnessed an *almost* successful mating of my sultan by Louie the silkie so next time I should be getting fertile eggs.

Last night I set 12 of my own banty eggs, 13 bantam BRs, 9 BBS bantam cochins, and today I get 6 bantam polish eggs from my sister :)

3. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, hokankai, can't wait to see what they end up looking like? They always seem to look good, silky/sultan crosses. So I'm sure they'll be beautiful :) Seems some end up with the dark skin, others not. So it should be very interesting! What color is your Silkie?

jharper, are they sultan eggs? Or something else?

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    He's a blue, very dark blue. :) It's amusing because she's the tallest of the bantams, so I think that's why he's having trouble. He grabs feathers on the back of her neck but can't get on her back so she just squawks until he lets go. She crouches but is still a little up off the ground. LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. cluck-cluck

Aww, LOL, poor guy! Hope he was able to reach! (sorry, I'm [​IMG] at the vision in my head!)

6. Cluck, did you ever get your new diapers made?

Victoria and Elizabeth are doing great! 2 weeks old yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cluck-cluck

OOooh, they're so CUTE!!

Yes, I made my Serama diapers, but it seems sometimes they leak (fall below the vent) LOL, so I may need to do some tweaking.

The diaper I got from hokankai seemed to be too long in the chest part for Charlie and he kept getting his foot in there, LOL, but that's ok. I got Charlie another diaper, and am using hokankai's diaper on my crevecoeur whom it fits perfectly. I gave away my Creve's brothers, so now that he's the only one, he's started crowing more as well. Hence, weekends in the house with both of them! So funny! They were fighting a bit at first, and my son, picked both of them up, and sat down with them on the couch, forcing them together, talking to them and petting them and telling them to get along, (EXACTLY what I remember my grandfather doing with the dog and cat!) and low and behold, they never fought again!!! My creve is 2X the size of Charlie too! So they both hung out together in the house like great buddies all weekend and now at night and in the morning!

It's weird, my son is so much like my paternal grandfather. There is something in genetics, I swear it, that passes down personalities. It's so awesome to see a lost beloved family member in a younger generation :) (and he walks like my dad, also dead, LOL)

8. awwww that's great Cluck! It has to life your spirits a little to see your Grandfather and Father in your Son. spirits live on and pass down pieces of themselves. yup, I agree. I bought a few diapers from someone on here a year back and they worked great! She had me measure 'Bird from his neck to his tail on the top and bottom and made it to him. Fitted perfect! I will have to see if I can remember who it was.

On a side note, Elizabeth the one Sultan is missing a toenail! I noticed it on day 2 with her, I thought maybe it would show up eventually or whatever, but it's not there. Do you think it will hinder her later on? It is on the third toe.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. I bought them from Luvmychix!

10. cluck-cluck

Charlie also is missing 2 toenails. Middle toe on each foot. One surprisingly has started to grow back, it seems. Doesn't look totally normal. I didn't think it was caused by injury, but I don't know. I didn't notice it until they were several weeks old if I remember correctly. I wish I could remember if they came like that or if it fell off (If it had been an injury, there would have been tons of blood, so I'm sure that's not the case) Maybe Sultans are prone to this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by