The supplemental light debate

I found this post on a search for supplemental lighting. My 6 hens just got up to laying well--they are about 25 weeks. I don't want egg production to go down yet. ;-) So--for this year I am thinking about putting a light in a timer for keep them laying. Next year I'd not add it until after they molt. I was looking for the best kind of light to add. I use sand. If I used shavings I might not add the light. I was looking at rope lights, but I've read they can warm up and need to be watched. Hardly convenient. I am in the barn at 5:30 am Mon-Fri anyway--so the light would only add an hour in the morning. From what I've read--a 40W bulb is plenty.

I always find out great info when I come here. :)

My next topic was touched on here too--frozen eggs. I am in the barn at 5:30 am--then can check before I leave for work at 7:20--but then can't check until 4:00 pm. I have soft hay, shavings and assorted herbs in my boxes. Surprisingly, they use all three boxes--sometimes there are 2 eggs in each. I'd sure like to keep them from freezing before I can home. Right now the door to the coop is open all day--a full door. I think if we make a smaller part that opens it'll help. Our coop is a bubble in a huge barn--so not sure how this will work.

In my 10 x 12 coop, I use 7W CFL that I ramp up slowly to 14 hours/day, starting late October. It doesn't put out much heat. It is right beside the door, so I check it on a daily basis, dust it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom