The supplemental light debate

Last winter, I only had 1 egg freeze. I find that if I get out there several times/day to gather eggs, keep lots of hay in the boxes, they are less likely to freeze. I think that having a larger flock helps also b/c they generate more body heat, and the nests are more likely to have a hen setting in them.
I know what you mean. I have 19 right now and even in the summer months it seems like some of the eggs are warm when I collect them. I'll have to try more hay this year in the boxes. Thanks for the suggestion.
The breeder quality I purchased were being bred for show. They are pretty birds who go broody often, but are extremely poor layers. I'm sure there must be breeders that breed for production, but most seem to be after type and looks. My hatchery stock lays longer into their lives. If you just want good production and want to cull afterwards I would personally just keep either leghorns or any of the various sex links. The leghorns will produce longer into their lives and the sex links will go like crazy for about two years, than are best culled at the end of the second season.
That would make sense to breed for looks and type. I think most breeders would probably make sure their stock is show quality after all. I love the sex links! I started my chicken keeping with just 1 and then this year I ordered 5. I cant just go a flock of all of them. While I would like to I like to have diversity. I love the looks of the brahmas and the speckled sussex. My hatchery Black Copper Marans actually lays pretty decent too. I get an egg a day from her it seems. And the New Hampshires seem to do well as well. I've never really considered leghorns because when I buy, since I know after about 2 years I'm thinning them out, I try to go for breeds that lay well and are of decent size. The only ones I dont do that with are the EE's because well, colored eggs. Even though I have one EE girl that has to weigh about 8lbs I swear.

Show quality and production quality can sometimes conflict when a breeder is operating with as small number of breeders. It is not hard to find show lines that have fertility issues or some other infirmity yet perform very well in the eyes of judges.

I know what you mean. I have 19 right now and even in the summer months it seems like some of the eggs are warm when I collect them. I'll have to try more hay this year in the boxes. Thanks for the suggestion.
That would make sense to breed for looks and type. I think most breeders would probably make sure their stock is show quality after all. I love the sex links! I started my chicken keeping with just 1 and then this year I ordered 5. I cant just go a flock of all of them. While I would like to I like to have diversity. I love the looks of the brahmas and the speckled sussex. My hatchery Black Copper Marans actually lays pretty decent too. I get an egg a day from her it seems. And the New Hampshires seem to do well as well. I've never really considered leghorns because when I buy, since I know after about 2 years I'm thinning them out, I try to go for breeds that lay well and are of decent size. The only ones I dont do that with are the EE's because well, colored eggs. Even though I have one EE girl that has to weigh about 8lbs I swear.
I agree with you on sex links. I love them. And when I am culling my flock, I often sell the older birds. My customers LOVE my home bred sex links. IMO, that's the best option for my flock. You get to choose the parent breeds to end up with a sex linked chick that provides the traits YOU want in YOUR flock. My BSL's based on EE roo X Dom hen are absolutely gorgeous. They retain the soft feather quality of the Dom, are jet black without any brown bleed through in the hackles, have a very small walnut comb. And they lay, for the most part an aqua, green, or olive colored egg. They don't have the common reproductive issues of hatchery sex links, but instead have a nice hybrid vigor. What's not to like with that combination?????

I agree with you on sex links. I love them. And when I am culling my flock, I often sell the older birds. My customers LOVE my home bred sex links. IMO, that's the best option for my flock. You get to choose the parent breeds to end up with a sex linked chick that provides the traits YOU want in YOUR flock. My BSL's based on EE roo X Dom hen are absolutely gorgeous. They retain the soft feather quality of the Dom, are jet black without any brown bleed through in the hackles, have a very small walnut comb. And they lay, for the most part an aqua, green, or olive colored egg. They don't have the common reproductive issues of hatchery sex links, but instead have a nice hybrid vigor. What's not to like with that combination?????
Oh my lord! I may have to do some research on how to breed sex links. I never thought of doing it that way. But then again the hatchery red sex links ive gotten have all been good quality, never any egg bound issues (so far), and are very friendly. But in way of friendliness I love my sussex the best.
Show quality and production quality can sometimes conflict when a breeder is operating with as small number of breeders. It is not hard to find show lines that have fertility issues or some other infirmity yet perform very well in the eyes of judges.
Thats very good to keep in mind. I never thought of it that way. I guess in my eyes if I were to actually breed show quality I would try to perfect it as much as possible. But I guess when genetics is involved sometimes you cant help reproductive issues.

Oh my lord! I may have to do some research on how to breed sex links. I never thought of doing it that way. But then again the hatchery red sex links ive gotten have all been good quality, never any egg bound issues (so far), and are very friendly. But in way of friendliness I love my sussex the best.
Thats very good to keep in mind. I never thought of it that way. I guess in my eyes if I were to actually breed show quality I would try to perfect it as much as possible. But I guess when genetics is involved sometimes you cant help reproductive issues.
According to the chart, you can use a Sussex roo x a number of other breeds to = Red sex link. But you can't use a Sussex hen to create sex links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

According to the chart, you can use a Sussex roo x a number of other breeds to = Red sex link. But you can't use a Sussex hen to create sex links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
Thank you for the chart! I will have to keep it bookmarked so I know when the time comes and I want my own chicks! Would be a lot easier I would think verses constantly ordering from a hatchery.

I thought of another question last night.

Does anyone use heat lamps that also doubles as their extra light?

Not that I personally would ever use a heat lamp but I know some people do. I have a coworker that provides ones for her birds.

A standard incandescent bulb throws off a lot of heat. The problem with that is you usually would provide the heat at night. I only give heat when my birds are having behavioral changes that indicate they are struggling: Their feed consumption goes way down, and they are not acting like active chickens. For those rare times (when temp goes below 0*F for days on end) I do have a red heat lamp secured 3 WAYS aimed at the roost, and only use it during night time perch time. When the sun comes up, all the thermopane glass in my coop warms it up nicely.

Does anyone use heat lamps that also doubles as their extra light?

Not that I personally would ever use a heat lamp but I know some people do. I have a coworker that provides ones for her birds.
No never heated coop and even when I used incandescent winter lighting (40w) I seriously doubt it added any heat to the coop/birds with all the ventilation I have.
Have some frostbite every year, on wattles (from nipple waterer dribbles and snow bank chowing) and on straight comb tips, but never anything that needed treatment.

I don't use heat either and I also have a west facing door that never closes. We can get brutally cold, -20 with -40 wind chills at times. My chickens do fine. They are quite hardy and suffer more in the heat than they do with the cold. Too many fires are caused by using a heat lamp to keep adult animals "warm". Nature has provided them with nice winter coats. Like aart I get some frostbite on my roosters combs and wattles but nothing serious.

Thank you guys for all the input! I have never used a heat lamp either as I have never had an issue with my chickens. But I know some people out there do and I will not condemn them for using them. I just give the friendly reminder that if power goes out there is potential for loss. But everyone is entitled to do what they wish with their birds. The amount of fires I've read about from coop fires are unbelievable! Its so sad.

Back
Top Bottom