The Sussex thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    AWWWWWW so sorry to hear that, what happened to her? Was she sick? or just passed without any signs? I know sometimes that happens, lots of post on here asking what may have caused a death. Poor You and your girl. Again so sorry...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Quote:Very unlikely it is the SS. Although a SS was nosing around an egg, I still would guess it is one of the Dels.

3. almost forgot....my few ss pics are on my public album....link in my byc page. Will get better and more recent pics soon I hope

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Ok Got you all some pictures of the girls, and Jasmine is laying................she is 17 weeks not 16 LOL guess I couldn't count yesterday.
    I sat 2 hours in the barn this morning waiting to see who was laying me a new egg, well she sure took her time about it but I watched her lay it, and Jasmine it was.
    I also got another pullet egg this morning in the dog mini coop from either peaches, or 1 of the Delawares. medium brown egg so not Snowflake yet, but I'm thinking soon ? what do you all think? here she is. along with the other gals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:Hi BBrock,
    Honestly, I don't know if there are any in America. Never run across any ention of them.
    They are similar to, but not the same as Red Sussex.
    I have Outram's Sussex book here from the 1920's. Here's what he has to say on the Browns.
    ------
    Seems to be a Table bird. This book was pubished circa 1926. Outram states that 22 years ago, the late John Ade, Hellingly, Sussex, was a good breeder of Reds. And keen on the browns. He was busy perfecting the Browns for several year after the Sussex Club was formed in 1903. In 1908, Ade introduced the Brown Sussex. The Sussex Club did not accept them asa variety and in 1909 the Brown Sussex Club was formed. The two clbs were freindly rivals, without animosity. Then in 1913, the Sussex Club accepted the Brown as a variety. From the color notes in this book, it looks like the hen is Wheaten colored.
    --------------
    Honestly, I don't know if Brown Sussex are founded on eWh or eb. It doesn't say in this book, from hence their foundation came. Might want to check Sharpe's ' Sussex Fowl ' book, available online at http://www.archive.org. Maybe something for you there if you are thinking of recreating it. Outram's 1934 edition of his book with stunning color plates is available from Country Books in New Zealand(website). Used to own a copy and found it very useful. Well worth the price.

Best,
    karen in PA, USA.

Green Fire Farms has Brown Sussex. [​IMG]

~Aspen​

But I don't think there for sale. I'm close to them but I don't think there gana sell yet

6. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    I just checked there website they are currently out of stock but now that they have rodebars I really don't need the brown sussex that has been my plan of starting that auto sexing breed but oh well he got to it before me

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea!!! I just got my first 2 SS. Chicks from Mypetchicken. Very friendly. Love looking at all the pictures here!

8. Oohlala!

Oohlala! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I think Speckled Sussex are some of the most beautiful chickens and very sweet too! I love mine, such a character!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Can anyone tell me if their sussex get bumble foot a lot? I have silver,coro and light and it seems every bird when it gets around 6 plus months seem to get bumble foot. Is it me or their weight? They are out on an all dirt pasture with grass. No rocks,trash or roots. Its clean except...We have ducks in with them but they are on 1/2 acre.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by