The Sussex thread!

Serica,
  My SS have yet to go broody so I can't say much on that but they have great personality. Easy going with other birds, they don't bully my bantams like some of my other breeds. Also I get 4-5 xl brown eggs a week per hen (not quite daily layers but close). They are interactive with me (beg for treats, follow me, and generally want to see what I'm doing) . Good foragers but a bit more destructive than I like because they tend to find things first,like my table top vegi beds.
  Over all one of my favorite breeds in my flock. There is only one draw back for me is they don't seem to tolerate the cold as well as say my chanteclers or EE's. With out supplemental heat they stop laying in Oct/Dec (temps from 0 to-35 are common here). Being in Florida I doubt that cold is a concern for you.

Thanks for this. It helps in making the decision. Cold can happen but it's not for long. Opposite problem down here lol. For me and hubby that's a decent amount of eggs! I'm figuring on 10 birds to start this whole thing.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Are these Speckled Sussex? Mark the ones with the dark red, the light red, and the striped back with leg bands.
Then watch them grow and see which ones have the best ground color and overall color. I think it will be
educational from what I have read in the old texts. " The Proper Color of Speckled Sussex"
http://books.google.com/books?id=jC...e&q="proper color of speckled sussex"&f=false
Best,
Karen

I'll get some temporary zip ties this weekend and do that. What do you think of the 5 week olds already having white in the wing feathers? They are from a different place than the week olds. Oh, yes, Speckled Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom