The Sussex thread!

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, that is for hatchlings. Seems like the norm so I guess I didn't think much of it. Hope you locate a source near you. Otherwise, check out Purely Poultry. They cut shipping in half for 15+ chicks.

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, that is for hatchlings. Seems like the norm so I guess I didn't think much of it. Hope you locate a source near you. Otherwise, check out Purely Poultry. They cut shipping in half for 15+ chicks.

They have a nice site and I had selected 15 various chicks for about $70 USD but they only ship in the US so no go.
1f62d.png

I'm sure I will find some pullets by the time the real spring gets here. It's raining in Ontario today. We should have lots of snow by now.

Cheers,
CoopNScoop

We went from rain to snow. 48f yesterday not it's supposed to get in the single digits. Thinking chickens helps me look forward to spring!

Just reading through and feeding my excitement as I await the arrival of this year's chick order (Feb. 3) which will include my much awaited Speckled Sussex girls. Have wanted them FOREVER and they have been all but impossible to locate around here - though I did pick up a lovely SS roo this last summer, so at least I have him here and waiting for them to get here and grow into being ready to spend time with him.

Just reading through and feeding my excitement as I await the arrival of this year's chick order (Feb. 3) which will include my much awaited Speckled Sussex girls. Have wanted them FOREVER and they have been all but impossible to locate around here - though I did pick up a lovely SS roo this last summer, so at least I have him here and waiting for them to get here and grow into being ready to spend time with him.
Hi Neighbor,
Yes SS are not as easy to find in the Midwest as some other breeds. They are on my wishlist as a future trial. Does anyone find that they are too noisy? A neighbor offered me her SS hen because it trained itself to squawk every morning until let out. She was afraid a neighbor would complain. I didn't want to deal with quarantine & upsetting my flock's pecking order to then work on retraining learned behaviors.

I have one Sussex mix that follows me around begging for treats. She makes a long Braaaaaawwwwwwk noise. She has taught it to the others, so now I get a chorus of little beggars when they see me coming. Other than that & the egg song, my hens are quiet. I was just wondering if Sussex were more on the noisy side of the spectrum.

Yeah the rain was too good to be true.
It's a blizzard out there right now!
Brrrrrrrrrrr!
But at least the ladies saw some grass briefly today!
I think we' got that same storm system here. Yesterday it started out with fog, drizzle, & rain followed by lots of wet snow. Since the temps were warmer, it made a few inches of slush instead of snow like predicted. Now we're being hit with a cold snap & everything's frozen. Nice to see the sun, but it's COLD. (high of 11'F today, but feels like -7'F; Certainly not out of the ordinary, but we've had mild temps so far this winter.) The chickens are smart enough to stay inside the coop & run, but they're complaining about the cold to me.

OK - I don't yet even have chickens, but am working on my coop. I have an order in with Chickensforbackyards.com and two Speckled Sussex are on my order - should be getting them in February. I'm rather excited - can you all let me know what I can expect from our SS gals? Generalities of course, I know each individual bird is unique.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom