The Sussex thread!

I haven't seen a post from Martie on this thread..........so I am going to "steal her thunder" a bit here and post a little something to honor her and her darlings:

The cover of the latest Backyard Poultry magazine is a group of Buff Sussex juveniles owned by Martie Starr!!!

These are kids she purchased from me in 2013. Still wearing their "jammies" as my grandson Darren says - meaning they are still wearing their juvenile feathers in this photo. :) Gotta love those kids with great descriptions. :)

Congrats Martie for a job well done getting them raised up in the challenging weather of 2013-2014!!!

Doc

Warbirds! That is sooo cool to have your line on the magazine! I get that one too - I'll pull it out and re-read it.

John - I agree with the other posters - I passed up some SS hatching eggs because their hens were all soaked in white. I like the coloring on yours - clone her, eh? :)

Warbirds! That is sooo cool to have your line on the magazine! I get that one too - I'll pull it out and re-read it.

John - I agree with the other posters - I passed up some SS hatching eggs because their hens were all soaked in white. I like the coloring on yours - clone her, eh? :)
Thanks haha! The person I got her off sells hatching eggs :)

Yeah - but probably not to the US - I'm in Vermont - and still have 3 feet of snow outside ..... getting a little spring fever seeing the grass in the background.

Funny note ... here in Vermont we have Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud and then Spring seasons !!! The muddy leg made me laugh!

Yeah - but probably not to the US - I'm in Vermont - and still have 3 feet of snow outside ..... getting a little spring fever seeing the grass in the background.

Funny note ... here in Vermont we have Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud and then Spring seasons !!! The muddy leg made me laugh!
Ahh I see!

1904054_10200559376066532_1280452911_n.jpg

Tony Albritton up in Idaho at Featherhills Farm has lovely top winning large fowl Speckled Sussex.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/433985/feather-hills-farm-heritage-hatchery ( this thread says he is in WA State. He used to be and then moved to ID where he is now)
Why not contact him and see if he sold any to someone in your area? You might be able to get chicks from them this year and avoid the shipping. In Speckleds you want older chicks. Because they're a tri-colored variety , they are older when selected for color quality. About 3-4 weeks older. Don't be upset of the breeder only offers older chicks. That would be the reason.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA ( Brrrr!)

Thanks 3riverschick. I'll contact him.

Back
Top Bottom