The Sussex thread!

Spencer

Does anyone have any pictures of Speckled Sussex eggs? One of our new-ish pullets have started laying light brown eggs and we think it is either our Buckeye or our Speckled Sussex. What color eggs to Speckled Sussex typically lay? Do they lay almost everyday, (we have been getting one every day)?

Does anyone have any pictures of Speckled Sussex eggs?  One of our new-ish pullets have started laying light brown eggs and we think it is either our Buckeye or our Speckled Sussex.  What color eggs to Speckled Sussex typically lay?  Do they lay almost everyday, (we have been getting one every day)?

SS egg is the bigger light creamy one, towards the left. The light brown is a Cochin and small creamy is a silkie. Other eggs a are WL, Barnie, and EE( for a comparison). Our SS , Atika, lays almost everyday.

Last edited:
Thank you Jujubara! Our SS eggs (If they are indeed SS) are light brown to creamy and typically are about that size. Mystery chicken has also been laying everyday. This case is closer to being cracked!

Thank you Jujubara!  Our SS eggs (If they are indeed SS) are light brown to creamy and typically are about that size.  Mystery chicken has also been laying everyday.  This case is closer to being cracked!

Glad I could provide a bit of help. I know what it's like when you're trying to figure out who is laying what.

Ordered chicks and picked up the package. So sad, only 4 barred rocks survived and I lost all the Sussex. Got a refund but still was a bad feeling. Gonna try to get some more later.

Ordered chicks and picked up the package. So sad, only 4 barred rocks survived and I lost all the Sussex. Got a refund but still was a bad feeling. Gonna try to get some more later.
That's awful. So sorry for your loss. If you can't find a local breeder, you could try a farm store. (Farm and Fleet, Rural King, TSC, Big R, etc.) In our region we see abundant chicks in April - sometimes thru May. Because they buy in bulk, the prices are great and they will at least be alive when you pick them out. Some let you special order the breeds you want.

Awww, I'm so sorry! I am a bit worried about my babies who are scheduled to ship on the 16th of Feb, myself. I'm only getting six baby girls ... its not cold down here in Florida, but I am not sure where they are being shipped from.

Foxdenjc, so sorry it turned out that way. Heartbreaking. Last year I waited weeks for the feed store to get my order of 10 speckled sussex. The owner of the feed store called me the day I was suppose to pick them up & told me the supplier said their rooster was not fertile:th

This year I've I chatted with papas poultry about shipping chicks, he said to wait until it's warmer. Temps in ohio are in the freezing range now. I'm giving the ss breed one more chance.

Back
Top Bottom