The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Hi there, where can I get the breed standards for this breed?
There are no standards, per se, for the Svarthöna. They are actually a landrace and not a breed. You can probably find a description of what the Swedes consider they should be if you Google "Svarthöna" and start sifting through the Swedish pages. That is, if you want something more descriptive than "Everything should be black", but being a landrace, even that can vary.

Last edited:
Quote:
If the Greenfire Farms website is anything to go by, I'd say at a minimum: -All black, possibly some mulberry on face -Fibromelanistic -Feathers iridescent purple and green shimmer -Less gamefowl in body type than Ayam Cemani -Lays white to cream colored eggs -Roosters weigh 5-7 pounds -Cold hardy -Calm temperament

Along the lines of standards, I have a hen that is rumpless or at least tailless. Has anyone else ever seen this in Svarthona?

I've heard of some GFF stock having woolly feathers, but this was new to me.

I have hatched and grown out about 50 and have not seen that come up yet in my flock. I breed stock direct from GFF/Ewe Crazy and KYTinpusher. No wollies yet either.

Curious how that little guy will grow out.

I'm doing a lot of research on what kind of chickens to get for my first flock. I'm not committed to a single purpose (eggs, table, combo or show). I just want a flock to dote on, if I'm totally honest. I LOVE the look of these birds, but my brain, much to the chagrin of my heart, wants to be rational about this and not drop a huge amount of money on expensive birds when, at the end of the day, I'd probably get the same warm and fuzzies from a slightly less expensive pair of Flower Hens or CCLs.

So, I have some questions for you folks wiser than I!

For those of you who breed Svarthonas and/or Cemanis for some form of profit (or have ever sold your birds):

- Are you able to make anything significant in comparison to other rare, but less expensive breeds from just selling your culls?

- What's the demand like? Are people really paying $1k-$2k for a quality bird on a semi-regular basis now that the craze is over? What price do the more average birds get?

- Who's mainly buying the birds? Breeders? Backyarders/hobbyists? Fancy/weird restaurants? People into alternative medicine/mysticism? What are the demographics like, and who spends more?

- Is the initial startup price tag for, say, a juvie or adult pair worth it in the long run - are you likely to make back more than you put in in the initial investment?

- How does an average year compare to the total amount per year you would get from other rare breeds (either from eggs, meat, sale, etc.)?

- Which are worth more: Svarts or Cemanis? Which are more reliable producers? Main, obvious differences in friendliness/personality/hardiness/fertility/etc.?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so curious about them. I'm trying my best not to let the chicken math win..

Last edited:
Along the lines of standards, I have a hen that is rumpless or at least tailless. Has anyone else ever seen this in Svarthona?

I've heard of some GFF stock having woolly feathers, but this was new to me.
Interesting! I haven't seen any rumpless in my birds. I started with 2 pair from GFF and 2 pullets from Ewe Crazy. I think I am growing out a fourth generation now and no rumpless have cropped up, though woollies have.

I have hatched and grown out about 50 and have not seen that come up yet in my flock. I breed stock direct from GFF/Ewe Crazy and KYTinpusher. No wollies yet either.

Curious how that little guy will grow out.
You NEED some woollies!
thumbsup.gif
lol.png
I have a woolly pullet from a friend growing out and am hoping to match her with one of my woolly cockerels in a couple of months. If all goes well, I should have eggs this winter sometime. However, I now know that my first cockerel that I paired with my ECF hens was a carrier, so I am surprised you haven't seen any yet.

I'm doing a lot of research on what kind of chickens to get for my first flock. I'm not committed to a single purpose (eggs, table, combo or show). I just want a flock to dote on, if I'm totally honest. I LOVE the look of these birds, but my brain, much to the chagrin of my heart, wants to be rational about this and not drop a huge amount of money on expensive birds when, at the end of the day, I'd probably get the same warm and fuzzies from a slightly less expensive pair of Flower Hens or CCLs.

For those of you who breed Svarthonas and/or Cemanis for some form of profit (or have ever sold your birds):

- Are you able to make anything significant in comparison to other rare, but less expensive breeds from just selling your culls?

- What's the demand like? Are people really paying $1k-$2k for a quality bird on a semi-regular basis now that the craze is over? What price do the more average birds get?

- Who's mainly buying the birds? Breeders? Backyarders/hobbyists? Fancy/weird restaurants? People into alternative medicine/mysticism? What are the demographics like, and who spends more?

- Is the initial startup price tag for, say, a juvie or adult pair worth it in the long run - are you likely to make back more than you put in in the initial investment?

- How does an average year compare to the total amount per year you would get from other rare breeds (either from eggs, meat, sale, etc.)?

- Which are worth more: Svarts or Cemanis? Which are more reliable producers? Main, obvious differences in friendliness/personality/hardiness/fertility/etc.?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so curious about them. I'm trying my best not to let the chicken math win..
The price for Svarthöna has come down considerably since they were first introduced. You can probably pick up a trio of good quality birds for less than $200 if you look. (I have some available if you are near NKY
wink.png
) The Svarts are hardier (with the exception of the woollies) than the Cemani, and I believe are better layers. Mine are actually quite good layers, when they are not broody. They do make very good mothers. I think the market for them is waning because there are a lot of people who have them right now and they are more of a novelty breed. But the lower the market price goes, the fewer breeders will keep them. However, I do know there is a market for the meat (mostly among the Oriental population) if you can find the right processor or customer. I don't know if it is a lucrative market, though, as I trade my culls to my processor in exchange for meat chickens - I just can't get myself to eat meat that color!
sickbyc.gif
The eggs are small to medium sized, so are not the best for eating egg sales.

I can't do any real comparisons to the Cemani as I only have the Svarthöna, but maybe someone who has both will chime in.

Bottom line, I doubt you will make much income off the Svarthöna, but you may be able to make them pay for their upkeep and have a way cool flock to enjoy.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that my Svart is the smallest bird in my mixed backyard flock. She's at the bottom of the pecking order. Lays an egg virtually every day, and when people buy the eggs for eating, they like to hear the story of her better than they like having her little egg in the carton.

Since we don't breed her and she's not for eating, I'm personally glad she lays frequently, but her eggs are so small in comparison we keep them for ourselves. We love her and she's gorgeous and we'd not trade her for any other bird.

Thank you so much for the information! I love this place.

I think I'll just go with Svarthonas.. the problem is I can't seem to figure out how to source them in Canada. Anyone have any leads?

My Svarthona are among my favorite birds but realistically, I think you're getting in the profit game a little late. Just like Crested Cream Legbar a few years back (and whatever the flavor of the month was before that and so on...) You essentially need to be the guy who has the first couple of generation of birds to get in on the insane cash. Here in the states, you could buy hatching eggs all day long for around $20/each this past spring. Hatched birds were going for the $100-200 range - now that hatching season has ended and autumn is almost on us (and those spring birds are starting to lay) you can get chicks for $50 or under and eggs for $10 or better. The price will only decrease as more and more enter the market. If you produce 'perfect' birds there may be some money to be had, but I can't see the $1k+ price coming back. All that being said, they're probably the friendliest birds that I own and I recommend them for any flock. I get a lot more interest in my Horstman rocks than the Svarthona...

Back
Top Bottom