The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Quote: Now that I know what words in Swedish I am looking for, I have found quite a bit of documentation of Woolly Svarthönas in the Swedish population. This is a very interesting paper that was sent to me by a friend in Sweden - I haven't completely digested it yet: http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fgene.2015.00044/full

I lost one of the pullets to cocci, but the other two are doing very well. I will try to get some new pictures soon.

Now that I know what words in Swedish I am looking for, I have found quite a bit of documentation of Woolly Svarthönas in the Swedish population. This is a very interesting paper that was sent to me by a friend in Sweden - I haven't completely digested it yet: http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fgene.2015.00044/full

I lost one of the pullets to cocci, but the other two are doing very well. I will try to get some new pictures soon.
Very cool information!!! Maybe mine will throw some furballs too!

Hi everyone!
So I won an auction from Greenfire Farms for 12 random chicks and ended up getting: 7 Swedish Flower Hens, 5 Cream Legbars, 2 Svart Hona's, and 2 Bielefelders.

The two Svart Hona's are so cute!! They are so tiny compared to all the other chicks!
I will post pictures tomorrow!

I'm curious, why is the Ayam Cemani more expensive, if they are identical to the Svart Hona?

From what I've seen of recent auctions, svart hona pricing is higher than the Cemanis.
The svarts are a little more rare right now since they aren't being mass produced on the same level as the Cemani.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
So I won an auction from Greenfire Farms for 12 random chicks and ended up getting: 7 Swedish Flower Hens, 5 Cream Legbars, 2 Svart Hona's, and 2 Bielefelders.

The two Svart Hona's are so cute!! They are so tiny compared to all the other chicks!
I will post pictures tomorrow!

I'm curious, why is the Ayam Cemani more expensive, if they are identical to the Svart Hona?
Congrats...I have all of those breeds from them and they are lovely. The bielfielders will get very large as roosters...mine keep growing and growing. The females are smaller & pleasant. I can pick them all up without an issue. The Hona's are small and will be small...maybe 4-5 lbs. The Swedish are average sized and so beautiful!!! The CCL are just beautiful egg layers! You got an amazing group from your rare breeds- (I got isbars, light sussex and barbezieux in mine)

The Hona and the Cemani are different. I can tell them apart when together. The body is different. I am assuming market demand on the price of the Cemani.

Ok, you experts out there: I was told this is most likely a svart hona (breeder screwed up and gave me one instead of the blue isbar I was supposed to get). I am thinking with the size comb he/she has at 6 weeks, this is most likely a rooster (also I might be seeing some itty, bitty sickle-shaped feathers near the tale). Opinions on gender/breed?

Ok, you experts out there: I was told this is most likely a svart hona (breeder screwed up and gave me one instead of the blue isbar I was supposed to get). I am thinking with the size comb he/she has at 6 weeks, this is most likely a rooster (also I might be seeing some itty, bitty sickle-shaped feathers near the tale). Opinions on gender/breed?
You didn't have this picture when we were discussing him on the Isbar thread. Judging from pictures alone can be tricky because lighting can really change the look of things. This picture doesn't change my opinion that it is a cockerel. As to breed, from this picture I would guess a Svarthöna/Isbar mix. While some of the Isbars, especially the second import line do have dark legs, they usually have lighter toes and toenails. What color are the bottoms of his feet?

Back
Top Bottom