The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Just got my first pair of svart hona I absolutely love them and can't wait to get another pair or another hen so I have trio will post pictures later but they are directly from ewe crazy farms. I have a website t post pictures and has a blog and a store but don't want to get an infraction for posting it... So if interested will send it through pm. Also have a great day everyone

Just got my first pair of svart hona I absolutely love them and can't wait to get another pair or another hen so I have trio will post pictures later but they are directly from ewe crazy farms. I have a website t post pictures and has a blog and a store but don't want to get an infraction for posting it... So if interested will send it through pm. Also have a great day everyone
I have some from Ewe Crazy also....beautiful birds!!!

I have three Swedish Black hen eggs in the incubator.. But the lady I got them from says that they're a hard hatch and even tho she normally has high hatch rates, this breed she has trouble with late quitters or death after pip. Any tips???

I wish I had this tip for my first SH hatch. I would've not waited so long before helping/checking on them when they were late but I stopped hearing peeping or scratching. So sad to see them dead after pipping.
I have hatched both shipped eggs and my own. The shipped eggs were tough...my own were 100%. The ones I helped hatch from the shipped eggs just prolonged their death anyways. I am in Upstate NY. The best thing I did for my hatch rate was invest in a really good incubator. The incubator was kept in a darkish area out of drafts. I minimally handled them...maybe 3 times during incubation and candled them in their racks. I ran at 45-50% humidity until lockdown and then 55-60% @ day 18+. They were like popcorn at day 21...almost like they counted hours. Also, they are tiny so I ground down their food. The problem is everything is very different everywhere and what works for one...may not for another! Happy hatching!

Hi, I have a Svart Hona that purchased from Greenfire Farms and for some reason, he/she does not have feathers but has down. It sort of looks like a Hedemora but Greenfire Farms assures me he/she is a Svart Hona! Anybody else go through the same problem?

You have woolly Svarthöna! It is a natural variation and is the same gene as the silky feather gene. I hatched 3 from my GFF trio last year, but I only have 1 cockerel left. I have a few that may be carrying the gene, though. I think I posted some pictures earlier in this thread and maybe some links to info about them from some Swedish websites.

Have to post as I just acquired some Svart Hona chicks from a local breeder and am very excited. They are originally GFF line. Already such a lively little crew! Shy but getting used to me more everyday, scratching and trying to dust bathe. Out of six chicks two have a white feather or two and pink toes, two appear to be very dark and hopefully future breeding birds and two have pink toes but no white feathering. I am very excited to see how these guys mature.

You have woolly Svarthöna! It is a natural variation and is the same gene as the silky feather gene. I hatched 3 from my GFF trio last year, but I only have 1 cockerel left. I have a few that may be carrying the gene, though. I think I posted some pictures earlier in this thread and maybe some links to info about them from some Swedish websites.
Oh my gosh!! I am overjoyed!! I was thinking that it was a Hemadora but I didn't think GFF would do that to me unknowingly. How cute! I just had to give away my Silkies and have been heartbroken.. But I am so happy now! Thank you!! Svarthona's are so sweet! I haven't really spent that much time with mine but it has been the bravest of all and will come out to hang out with me sometimes.

Hey guys just had a quick question. My svart hona rooster is holding his tail to the side does this mean anything ? All my birds are healthy none showing signs of being sick or any kicking the bucket so hopping this doesn't mean he is sick :/

Hey guys just had a quick question. My svart hona rooster is holding his tail to the side does this mean anything ? All my birds are healthy none showing signs of being sick or any kicking the bucket so hopping this doesn't mean he is sick :/

No, he is not sick. He has wry tail. It is a genetic fault and he should not be used for breeding as he can pass it on to his offspring.

No, he is not sick. He has wry tail. It is a genetic fault and he should not be used for breeding as he can pass it on to his offspring.
That's hard to determine without a picture although the most likely culprit. If it's wry tail, it wouldn't just now start looking like that and it would be quite obvious.

Back
Top Bottom