The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Looks like a pullet and cockerel to me! But sometimes those combs are late to bloom. Hoping in your case it's not
1f60a.png

Looks like a pullet and cockerel to me! But sometimes those combs are late to bloom. Hoping in your case it's not
1f60a.png

It wouldn't surprise me. S/he has done everything s/he can to die: saddle air cell, positioned funky in the egg, pipped in weird spot, shrink wrapped, curled toes, pasty butt - to date... A complete pain in the *** really, but what can you do? ;)

It wouldn't surprise me. S/he has done everything s/he can to die: saddle air cell, positioned funky in the egg, pipped in weird spot, shrink wrapped, curled toes, pasty butt - to date... A complete pain in the *** really, but what can you do? ;)

Ha! Yes, well it must be a pullet then, because you want a pullet. Therefore she will cause you stress until at least week 12
1f602.png
If it was a cockerel, it would have popped out of the egg perfectly with no further issues, and would be thriving now.

I have a few questions about coloring on the svart hona. I recently acquired some chicks and from what I have seen so far is that most of them have lighter colors in their mouth and lighter toenails. Do they darken with age or do I have a bunch of pet quality svarts? they are about a week old

I have a few questions about coloring on the svart hona. I recently acquired some chicks and from what I have seen so far is that most of them have lighter colors in their mouth and lighter toenails. Do they darken with age or do I have a bunch of pet quality svarts? they are about a week old
A few toenails might darken up, but the inside of the mouth should be dark. I say that, but I should caveat my opinion by saying my Svart would not let me near her to look inside her mouth. She's the loudest, most 'DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH ME' bird in the coop. It's funny because she's among the first ones to come over to see what I'm doing, but if I try to pet her she runs away screaming.

Which brings me to the second point in my post. I think she's gone broody. Yesterday, she stayed in the coop all day. When I went in to check eggs under her, she gave me a hard peck, flew on top of my head, screaming the whole time, and jumped out the pop door. She was screaming out in the yard, telling the rest of the hens about the terrible thing that just happened to her.

I'm disappointed she's broody. She's a daily layer. Do your Svart's go broody often?

Back
Top Bottom