The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
It may be possible, but it is also possible that it is not. What is the history of the chick?

Last edited:
Well a week ago my hubby purchased 6 chicks from TSC, this was the only black one he picked, of course out of assorted bin. I started another thread and no one was quite sure what breed it is. I checked the skin, vent, and the mouth, they are greyish in color, also it's also much smaller than my other chicks.
If it is from TSC, you can't count on it to be anything in particular. It could just as easily be a silkie mix, or a Cemani mix. You say it is small, but it looks big to me (for a week old) to be SH, Silkie or Cemani. I hope it is a pullet for you so at least it will lay eggs.

If it is from TSC, you can't count on it to be anything in particular. It could just as easily be a silkie mix, or a Cemani mix. You say it is small, but it looks big to me (for a week old) to be SH, Silkie or Cemani. I hope it is a pullet for you so at least it will lay eggs.

It's extremely small compared to my other chicks, also I'm a 5 foot female with extremely small hands, it only has 4 toes, black on inside of mouth and vent? Thinking its a mix or I've got something special (but I'd be very happy with a mix), it looks exactly like the chick photos of Ayam or Svart chicks, guessing only time will tell.

Sumatras can look like cemani as chicks, and some hatcheries carry Sumatra.  That may be one explanation

Tonight TSC manager told me hatchery my black chick came from carried a hen a roo Ayam, they're older birds that get interbred with apparently a lot of different hens. I was told if my chick didn't have white spots or other colored legs and such, I probably had a pure, but I can't believe that.

Are the eggs usually very small? I received some hatching eggs last week and they are small, barely larger than guinea eggs. Is this typical? There is one in the group that it slightly larger but the rest are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom