The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Aw
Qw
I second that. Beautiful birds! Congrats to all who have them and hope you will keep us, who wish to share our lives with them, in mind when you have eggs available!

i agree that $1000 for a bird is crazy expensive.

I have 1 roo and 2 hens at the moment that are about 3 months old. When they start laying I definately plan to share the joy of these stunning birds so that more of us can enjoy them. I'll be doing swaps, trades, and have eggs available at reasonable prices. My goal is not to profit from these birds, but rather to make the breed more available for people who would like them as a part of their chicken family.
2764.png

I will let you all know when my girls start laying.
1f60a.png

I'll try to take some recent pics of my babies to post.

Last edited:
Any breeders here in Colorado? I'm near Colorado Springs.
Just noticed today that one of my Svart cockerels(?) from Greenfire Farms is wooly. How common is that?
Question for those with a bit more experience... Are the Svarthöna roosters aggressive? I love the calm, confident personalities of the chicks but have read various reports stating the boys turn aggressive once they mature.

I have three Svarthona cockerels at the moment and they range from incredibly friendly and relaxed to slightly flighty. The friendliest one I hatched and raised myself the flightier ones I got from a breeder, so it's hard to tell if it's nature or nurture. That said, they are just hitting the hormonal stage so we'll see if it changes.

Kindercare, are you in Colorado?

These are without a doubt the calmest chicks I've raised of any breed. I've recently been letting them out of their pen to forage with the flock during the day. When it's time to go back in the pen I can walk up to them, reach down, and just pick them up. No chasing or herding involved, and I do not bribe anyone with treats either. It's funny when one of the older chickens challenges them, these little Svart youngsters will jump right up in the face of the juveniles. They don't back down easily. I have one boy out of the entire bunch that is a biter. He latches on and doesn't let go! Wondering what I'm in for when they mature. Thinking they'll either be the sweetest birds ever or little black Velociraptors.

So I'm in Florida (Tampa area) and currently waiting to see if I have Two hens and one roo or two roosters. I know for a fact one is a hen... But the other two I'm not quite sure of yet. If I end up having to roosters I would like to find a home for one of them. So if anyone is close to me and is interested in a rooster please contact me.
1f60a.png
All of them are from GF lines. I am not so much interested in selling them for money… I'd rather them go to a good home. Here's a silly pic I took for another thread (shaming thread) lol.

The one in the middle I know is a hen. The one on the left is the roo. It's the one on the right side thats cut from the pic that I'm not totally sure about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom