The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Thank you for replying. Imagine my surprise when my Turken/Cochin cross with bright pink but NOT red comb and wattles started to lay 3 days ago, only one day after her first squat. I was totally unprepared and she's laying in her run due to my failure. I am determined to be prepared for now on. I'll keep an eye on ALL of the signs for my Zelda (Svart Hona pullet). I guess each bird will begin to lay whenever they're ready to. Thank you again. I believe my older girls are going to wait for more daylight before they start laying again. That's ok with me.
That is good news!

You might get some of the Svart Hons henst to lay too. Lets hope!

That is good news!

You might get some of the Svart Hons henst to lay too. Lets hope!
Zelda, my Svart Hona pullet, has been laying for almost 3 weeks now. Today is the first day that she's not laid since she started! I've been shocked. Her eggs are small, but she is also quite petite at 2.5lbs. I worry thinking about her laying large/xlarge eggs. Zelda is so special and loves human attention. She is very scrappy with any and all other birds, no matter their size

Zelda, my Svart Hona pullet, has been laying for almost 3 weeks now. Today is the first day that she's not laid since she started! I've been shocked. Her eggs are small, but she is also quite petite at 2.5lbs. I worry thinking about her laying large/xlarge eggs. Zelda is so special and loves human attention. She is very scrappy with any and all other birds, no matter their size
Good news on the egg laying!

BOSS(black oil sunflower seeds) might be a good thing to give her-- to make sure she is getting enough oil for her vent

Good news on the egg laying!

BOSS(black oil sunflower seeds) might be a good thing to give her-- to make sure she is getting enough oil for her vent
Thank you! I'll offer her some this morning. I know she loves regular sunflower hearts. The BOSS I have is still in the hull. Some like it and others don't. I'm anxious to find out about her

Hi I’m just wondering how long it takes for these guys to hatch in an incubator. Are they about the same as other chicks at 21 days or do they take a little bit longer?

Hi I’m just wondering how long it takes for these guys to hatch in an incubator. Are they about the same as other chicks at 21 days or do they take a little bit longer?
Yes, 21 days same as all chickens.

If your eggs are taking longer to develop they may either be dead or too cold. Colder temperatures, even slightly, can slow growth and delay hatch.

Back
Top Bottom