The Texan Pioneer utility pigeon- a tutorial

yardbird tx

Songster
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, Texas
Although not a chicken. The Texan pioneer is a meat bird. My goal here is to introduce you to the world of the squabing pigeon. We will cover my life with the birds. And go threw a step by step process of keeping the birds and housebentry. I am no grate writer as you can tell so just bare with me.

I am putting the article here because the eating of pigeon has become taboo with a lot of pigeon keepers here in America.
People soon for get how the utility pigeon helped them survive in the hardest of times ( the grate depression).

I am not doing this to sell birds there is always a demand for the Texan Pioneer. My goal is to introduce more people to the hobby of keeping utility pigeons.

In this thread I will cover how I house the birds. How I feed the birds, and how the birds are direst out for eating.

This will be a step by step process and I will work on it as we go. So ask questions if you want as we go.

Today was long, and I lost two Buff Coatchens to the heat it was a 104 degrees here today so I am beat and tried. The pigeons love the heat and cant get enough of it. I will start with some pics of the lofts tomorrow. And after I show you the birds and cover general care of the birds. We will butcher some birds this weekend. And I will post lots of pics to help us along. ( I will be posting pics of the butchering process so here is my WARNING.)

For now here is the great breed that I keep, the Auto Sex Texan Pioneer.

pioneers002.jpg

22222006.jpg

Cock bird
sagewithbirds005.jpg

Hen
sagechiks011-1.jpg

Last edited:
Lets look at feeding. The birds get three types of grain and a protein source. Wheat, Milo, Corn and for protein I feed 16% to 20% pig feed. I feed cafeteria style free choice. And it looks like this. And don't forget the grit. The birds always have grit to eat in front of them.

sagewithbirds006.jpg

The great thing about the pigeon is that they are totally self sufficient. Both parents tend to taking care for the young. They feed the young a mixture from there crop called pigeon milk. It is a rich mixtuer of ground feed and water that the parents feed directly to the young.

So in the next few days lets look at the young birds and when to ween and when to butcher.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have had a problem bird picking on other young. This mainly happens when a young squab wanders into another part of the loft. I don't mess around with that and he was culled and used for stew stock. Out of six pare I have only had this problem once so far. It dose happen on rear occasion.

As for nets on the ground. I have a pesky rat that enters the loft almost every night to eat corn. I have never lost a bird to the rats. The Texan Pioneers are very protective of there young and will give a whooping wing slap to anything that comes close to there young, including me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes they mate for life.

I butcher any where from 4 weeks to 16 weeks. Butchering for restraints usually happens around 4 weeks.

A breeding pair stay productive for 6 years.

Tonight lets take a look at the lofts. The lofts are divided into the sections. Two of the sections are breeder units and the third is to house young birds. The breeder units house three pare each. You can see that each pare has its own area in the loft that is designated by dividers that cuts down on fighting.
sagewithbirds001.jpg

Cock bird on sun porch.
222222222222002.jpg

sagewithbirds005-1.jpg

Last edited:
The birds don't fight over nesting? Or do they mess with each other's young? I know many birds will attack other's young, sometimes even killing them.

Also with the nests on the ground, you don't have an issue with rodents taking the young? I know many rats will take a chicken chick or a half grown quail in a heart beat and make a meal out of it.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom