The Underappreciated Hybrids Thread

Really?
You do get the odd one.... some silkies are mean I've heard. well I raised these from chicks and they are very friendly. We had THE LOVELIEST Japanese roo..... polite to us and the hens but always patrolling protectively… horrible fox :mad: .

This is my polish Frizzle x silkie roo. I’m unsure how his offspring would pan out with his ladies (crested cream legbar, barnevelders, Olive Egger and sex links ) but I just may try!
0DF78C9D-6415-4FB5-BC04-77BA2DF50665.jpeg

What a handsome Roo!
I think so too! I keep calling him a roo but technically he’s still a cockerel at 7 months old 🥰 He keeps getting more and more stunning!

I'd like to see a cross with a cream legbar since both have the crested gene.

Same! I’m extremely uneducated on mixing but curious as well. And the coloring 🥰 My crested cream has the best temperament I wouldn’t mind more of her

I had not intended to have a rooster this year, but one of my Light Brahma sexed day old pullets turned out to really be a cockerel. I hope next spring that one of my hens goes broody so I don't have to set up my brooder again and I'm thinking if my boy survives and doesn't make me send him to freezer camp, I may try out some of the results of my flock. My hens are 1 light brahma, 1 black orp ( supposed to be blue but you know...), 1 CCL, 1 Barred Rock, 3 EE, and 1 sapphire splash. Mixing in a large fowl like that appeals to my partner because he thinks he needs to be a prepper for the zombie apocalypse...I humor him. It did make me think of some really interesting mixes though, or just hatch the full brahmas to sell at a swap. Thoughts? Speculation?

I think so too! I keep calling him a roo but technically he’s still a cockerel at 7 months old 🥰 He keeps getting more and more stunning!

Same! I’m extremely uneducated on mixing but curious as well. And the coloring 🥰 My crested cream has the best temperament I wouldn’t mind more of her

My only crested bird thats a mix of silkie roo and ? Blue laced red wyndotte, Plymouth rock, black sex link, or a splash mix bird.

Attachments

• 20201126_090602.jpg
    20201126_090602.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 4
I have always had some mixes and a few hybrids. the sad thing about hybrids (isa brown, white leghorn hybrid - my experience) is that they don't live long and easily get sick. I have had better luck with black sex link. mixes are stronger and beautiful. I keep a layer's flock that will also be nice to watch.

Back
Top Bottom