The Underappreciated Hybrids Thread

Muffy my olive egger. Friendliest bird. Consistent layer.

Black ameraucana mixed with idk.

Attachments

• 20201126_140125.jpg
    20201126_140125.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 6
(I suspect this thread will be left to go stale, but here goes-)

How many threads are there about Hybrids/Barnyard Mixes? Not many!

No one chats about the 'SPECTACULAR' qualities of hybrids, or has long discussions about hybrid breeding.
They are not even allowed into shows no matter how beautiful.
But it's hybrids that supply us most eggs! And there are so MANY of them...

Chat all you like, post photos, ask advice- the world of hybrids is large and varied!
🐓
I wholeheartedly encourage cross breeding, but I would not encourage the commercial production strains. The main issue is the health of the bird.
I find my barnyard mixes to be hardier than their purebred parents. They seem to resist common diseases, grow more quickly and attain a larger size than either of the parents. I only raise the larger breeds because the small ones are hawk bait in my area of rural Florida.
I start with dual purpose breeds, some heritage, some exotic and rare to diversify the gene pool and continue the ability to grow quickly and still lay a decent amount of eggs. A definite plus is the beauty of the crossbred offspring. For example my avatar was a cross of Niederrheiner rooster to a splash ee hen. He was a very large ee with muffs and a beard but had the size of his huge Neiderrheiner father. Unfortunately a panther took him away.
My situation may be different than some people who look for thrifty birds that consume less feed, but my chickens are raised for eggs and eye candy only. They free range for much of the day to supplement store bought grains. I value the large heavy breeds for their potential to feed the family should TSHTF. Hopefully that will never happen but I like to feel I have the option of a meat chicken should the need arise.
Some of the most unusual, and to my eyes, beautiful, chickens were cross breeds. In my area hatching eggs and crossbred chicks are easy to sell. I don't make a living from it, but it does help pay for the feed.

I have three chicks about 1 1/2 months old (2 pullets, 1 cockerel). They are a cross from an EE roo and White Leghorn hen. Here they are just hatched. Note the black spots on them. I’m looking forward to see the color of the eggs and the production rate from the two pullets.
7A8F2653-2483-4980-B4CE-312FE622263B.jpeg

BTW. This is a broody FBCM that hatched the eggs for me.

I have three chicks about 1 1/2 months old (2 pullets, 1 cockerel). They are a cross from an EE roo and White Leghorn hen. Here they are just hatched. Note the black spots on them. I’m looking forward to see the color of the eggs and the production rate from the two pullets.
View attachment 2439444
BTW. This is a broody FBCM that hatched the eggs for me.
What color is your EE roo? The babies look like paints! 😊

I value the large heavy breeds for their potential to feed the family should TSHTF.
After having to cull two MEAN cockerels (BO), my husband said we would only be buying pullet chicks from now on. I have on BO cockerel left, and three BA pullets. While I want chickens mainly for eggs and poop for the garden, I can see that if TSHTF, being able to enlarge my flock could be a big plus too.

And to have some interesting crosses...

Back
Top Bottom