The vet accidently DECLAWED my CAT! >_<

I've just heard so many stories of declawed cats not using the box, or becoming rabid biters.

FWIW, my mother was really, really into declawing front paws on her cats, and never once in 40 years (9 cats, usually kept 3 at a time) did she have that problem. They all used the box happily unless they had cystitis, and went back to using the box after the cystitis was cured. They did not become any more bitey than they were pre-declawing. They did not become extra psychotic or neurotic. I do think a lot of those type of stories are made up to exaggerate the case for not declawing.

It IS, however, true that the cat can no longer go outdoors. The good part is, the cat will likely live longer, not being preyed upon by cars, hawks, and brats with BB guns. Also, kitty will not get fleas/ticks indoors, which saves you a lot of itching.

Disclaimer: I own two kitties with full sets of claws (one has 26 claws, being polydactyl), and one declawed kitty. The declawed kitty was attacking the other cats and creating gashes so severe they required stitches. Realizing that no one would adopt such a monster, we had her declawed. Upon collecting her from the vet, she attempted to attack a Rottie and a GSD. Clearly it did not damage her ego any. Weirdly, about two years post-declaw, she became much calmer and relaxed, stopped attacking everyone and turned into DH's lap cat. Go figure.​

We had this done to my husband's cat because it was tearing up the furniture. The cat was a little sore at first but recovered quickly and has no problems at all. Believe it or not the cat still paws at the furniture.

I had a front de-clawed cat growing up. He loved the great outdoors and hunted. He'd bring in everything from mice to snakes to squirrels to rabbits. Clearly, he did well without them. He lived to the ripe old age of 19 years old.

I have always gotten my cats declawed. She won't bite and will still use the litterbox. My cats dispositions did not change one bit!

I'd be upset to have the wrong surgery performed on my pet. Be glad it was only a declaw done and she wasnt euthanized!

Quote:
Pawing the furniture is a natural instinct whether they have claws or not. The furniture takes place of trees they would find outside.

My daughters cat is declawed and he's never had a problem. I like him declawed because he would have every piece of furniture in my house shredded. Including the molding on all the door frames. He still thinks he has them and goes around trying to claw everything up. My min pin how ever thinks all cats are like whiskey and he would be in a ton of trouble if a real cat got a hold of him.

We adopted a cat 3 years ago with it's front declawed. She is not a "rabid biter" but if my 3 year old won't get out of her face and she has to defend herself she will bite. She uses the litter box fine. I don't let her outside, because I am afraid she won't be able to defend herself, but she did pretty well against my tom cat that was getting too friendly. I wouldn't ever choose to do that to a cat, but it is nice that she can't tear up my couches.

I would be really upset if it was my cat. I do realize that what's done is done, but, IMO, I don't think they should charge you for ANYTHING they did that day. It was their mistake; they should be doing everything they can to make amends.

It would be a bigger deal for me though, because my cat is a strictly outdoor cat. If he was declawed, we would have to find a new home for him.

Back
Top Bottom