The Village idiots 3 chickens strange behavior

Bearing1

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Plantersville/Magnolia TX
For the last 4 nights or so first 1 then 2 now 3 of my chickens don't want to in the coop at night. They are 20 weeks old and up until this week they all went in every night just before dark.
The other 22 chickens go in at dusk and onto the roosts, there is plenty of room I have about 18' of roost for them. All day long there is no bickering or much fuss between any of the chickens.
The 3 on the outside are just sitting on the outside of the pop door and when I put them in they don't seem happy at first then settle down on the roost with the others.
The pop door closes automatically just after sunset and when I go out to check on them they are just sitting outside happy as can be waiting for something to eat them I guess.
Anyone have an idea why they would suddenly do this?
If I put them in at dusk they just keep coming back outside with definite persistence

I think you've said it -- these are the Village Idiots. I don't know any way to poke their little chicken brains into some sense... maybe if you put on a raccoon suit and pretend to bite their heads off.
big_smile.png

Jenny

Oftentimes with a behavior change like that something has scared them inside the coop and now they don't want to go in. How predator proof is your coop? Could there be a snake or something else in there that has scared them? Chickens don't want to be unprotected at night so they must have some reason. I don't think they are the village idiots, they may be the smart ones....

Well, 18' of roosting space for 25 birds may be a bit tight. I know my goofy birds tend to cram up next to each other for the most part, but you may have a few being brats at night and your village idiots are just opting out of the bed time drama.

YEah, its time to put them on lock down for a few days and get it in their heads the coop is HOME... Don't you want to go in your home? GET IN YOUR HOME!!!!

Oops... sorry... Happy Gilmore got into my head again!
he.gif
Out Adam, OUT!!!!

I have 14 hens and 3 roos. (Yes, I know, too many, but two are young, and I have plans, and all they do is chase each other.) They break into 3 groups when free ranging. One of the groups, with the youngest roo, perch away from the rest, not on the roosts, but in the coop. I removed what they were using and they found another spot that was still not on the roost. I also have one BO (of 3) who never roosts; her spot at present is the top of a nest box. No problem, I just scrape the poo off.

I think every flock has its own social order. Chickens are such individuals.

Sounds like it's important in your case that they go in the coop. A few days of lockdown, as suggested, might do the trick.

Fear...mites, Lice, mice..predator... Run the bases... I trust my little chickies...

I put a video camera in the coop for the last few nights and did not see any serious commotion during the time when they were settling in at night, although the 2 polish hens were knocked off the roost a couple of times along with a few others. the others just went back on the roost and the 2 polish went back outside. They just seem a bit delicate. There is a little Hamburg who will fly onto my sholder when I go inside the coop it seems for safety?
I do agree as the chickens are getting bigger (all are 23weeks) the 2 roosts are a bit crowded so tomorrow I will add 1 more roost making a total of 25’ I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom