WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Two flocks, five babies, and a lot of time! So much fun!

I've been managing my flocks, integrating smaller/younger fowl into the coop/run with my mature hens.
Now, I wait! So far, all is well and everyone is happy. The little ones are adjusting and the big girls are not bullying.
I've been working to keep my growing cockerel well behaved. He was a bully, but with a simple time out (caged away from the girls), he was able to return to his flock and his behavior has improved. Still waiting to make sure no other problems are present, but it seems to be going well!

Now, my little turkens, roughly two weeks old- I'm waiting to tell their genders! Out of the five that hatched, I'm guessing two cockerels and three pullets.

Time will tell! I've been so busy with my birds. I love it!

It's easy to fall in love with your birds. People are quite used to hearing me say, "No, I can't go to (fill in the blank). I need to (let my birds out, put my birds in, make sure they have enough food/water, check for eggs). My schedule revolves around their schedules.

And when it's been a tough day, I just sit on a little concrete bench in the yard and watch them go about their day -- with all their diverse personalities and friendships.

Some people search their whole lives to find their passion. Congratulations on finding yours!

Oh, they all have names -- the chickens, the ducks and the geese.

Often, it has something to do with where the breed originated. I just look up baby names for the various countries. For example, my Salmon Faverolles have French names; my Sapphire Gems have Czech names. Because she is a Midnight Majesty Maran, both French and regal, Eleanor is named for Eleanor of Aquitaine, a very smart French queen.

Gabby is a Cochin Bantam who wants to comment on everything; her coop mate, also a Cochin Bantam, just looked like a Sally. The Iowa Blue twins are named Pip (because she had some issues with breaking into the world) and Squeak (because my human partner has a weird sense of humor).

Ducks generally get gender neutral names because I usually get them as babies from a breeder and sometimes sexing ducklings is sometimes more of an art than a science.

I think the name of the rooster, Sir Henry the Loud, is self-explanatory.

Oh, they all have names -- the chickens, the ducks and the geese.

Often, it has something to do with where the breed originated. I just look up baby names for the various countries. For example, my Salmon Faverolles have French names; my Sapphire Gems have Czech names. Because she is a Midnight Majesty Maran, both French and regal, Eleanor is named for Eleanor of Aquitaine, a very smart French queen.

Gabby is a Cochin Bantam who wants to comment on everything; her coop mate, also a Cochin Bantam, just looked like a Sally. The Iowa Blue twins are named Pip (because she had some issues with breaking into the world) and Squeak (because my human partner has a weird sense of humor).

Ducks generally get gender neutral names because I usually get them as babies from a breeder and sometimes sexing ducklings is sometimes more of an art than a science.

I think the name of the rooster, Sir Henry the Loud, is self-explanatory.
Haha, thank you so much for telling me about how you name your birds. Wonderful names with stories to match!

I name my birds on whatever seems fitting at the time- gender irrelevant because I don't trust the sexing from hatcheries or TSC. (too many accidental cockerels mixed in with pullets)
All mine either have names or will be named when I find one that fits.I have too many to list them all, but my favorite name (my Midnight Majesty) is Eggy Alan Poe. My favorite big girl (a Brahma) is named Fred.
My turkens: Butch, Disco, and their babies: Oswald, Cornelius, Rupert, Durden, and one un-named (for now).

Back
Top Bottom