The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

Pics
I was shooting for 55% during lockdown after internal pip, but it was hard to maintain that high. During incubation it was usually around 35-45%. With the next hatch it was ducks so I tried to keep it higher but didn’t really succeed at that. With both all the eggs that made it to lockdown hatched, so I figured that was a happy ending. :)

Humidity is such a tricky part of it all. It seems you can’t robotically set it for a certain setting without cause. It comes down to air cell growth, location, and blind luck. I feel like not opening the lid is important but I am still so new to this all I might not be correct in my thinking. This my very first hatch attempt and I haven’t counted my chicks yet, I'll tell you that!!

I had to open the lid to spray the duck eggs every day, so I candled them the first day I sprayed them with water and after that, I couldn’t help looking. It’s such a high seeing that little beating heart and the beauty of the branching veins—the wonder of watching this tiny creature developing into a complex individual creature such as a duck or chicken... I fell in love with this. It doesn’t seem to have hurt them—candling goes very fast. Just make sure your hands are clean.

Last edited:
I had to open the lid to spray the duck eggs every day, so I candled them the first day I sprayed them with water and after that, I couldn’t help looking. It’s such a high seeing that little beating heart and the beauty of the branching veins—the wonder of watching this tiny creature developing into a complex individual creature such as a duck or chicken... I fell in love with this. It doesn’t seem to have hurt them—candling goes very fast. Just make sure your hands are clean.

I’m hooked but I’m riding this pip high right now... hope all goes well in the next day(s). I’ve had two babies so I feel like I’m getting my baby fix... maybe I won’t have to have another now... lol. Im getting my chick fix.

Humidity is such a tricky part of it all. It seems you can’t robotically set it for a certain setting without cause. It comes down to air cell growth, location, and blind luck. I feel like not opening the lid is important but I am still so new to this all I might not be correct in my thinking. This my very first hatch attempt and I haven’t counted my chicks yet, I'll tell you that!!
I opened mine throughout my entire hatch and didn't have many issues. This hatch I haven't candled much and I'm just going to see what happens.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's mind is completely blown when they candle their eggs. I had to pick my jaw off the floor a few times, it's breathtaking. We saw a chicks head tonight, it'll be the last time we candle because they're hatching next weekend.

I meant to write, “Air cells” not actual chick - I think they get too big when humidity is too high but what the heck do I know!!!

Correction: according to the diagram: I should have written, I think they get too big when humidity is too low but what the heck do I know.

This humidity thing will be the death of me! Still so confused by all the conflicting information!

Back
Top Bottom