The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Located in The Pine Barrens of NJ. Blue Berrys and Cranberries, slim pickins' on natural blossoms.
Most inspectors I talk to say bees come off blue berries in rough shape. A biologists once told me some places on earth just weren't meant to sustain honey bees. Maybe some loosestrife and knotweed seeds could accidentally be dropped ;).

Most inspectors I talk to say bees come off blue berries in rough shape. A biologists once told me some places on earth just weren't meant to sustain honey bees. Maybe some loosestrife and knotweed seeds could accidentally be dropped ;).
When we "trucked" our 20+ hives for pollination back in the late 80s early 90s it did stress the bees and made them nasty, Still got honey but they were constant maintenance. Trachea mites were the big bane back then. Now with our 3 hives and Blueberries and Cranberries roughly 100 yds over the swamp the boxes don't have to be moved and the bees (Saskatraz) are a lot calmer, easier to monitor and take care of 50 yrds from the house. We do get a good amount of honey from the Blueberries running 2 deeps topped with 2 medium with us only taking 1 medium per hive. Cranberries seem to be more pollen than nectar so we leave it for the bees which explode through early summer. I don't know about dropping the suggested seeds as our soil is so poor that when I mow I tell DW, "I'm gonna go blow the dust around. At this moment the hives are in great shape. Starting the 2 sugar to 1 water prepping for winter. Managing 3 hives for us in our 70s is fun and easy.

Since this is our first year with our first hive, I don't have anything to compare to. I think we're doing really well. We'll be opening the hive on Sunday to take a peek.

It's a lot easier with the tow of us, and between the forecasted weather and work and goings on, that's our first chance.

The goldenrod is just starting to bloom. We will have a sea of yellow out there.

Since this is our first year with our first hive, I don't have anything to compare to. I think we're doing really well. We'll be opening the hive on Sunday to take a peek.

It's a lot easier with the tow of us, and between the forecasted weather and work and goings on, that's our first chance.

The goldenrod is just starting to bloom. We will have a sea of yellow out there.
Beautiful wk end forecasted here, low to mid 80s with low humidity. Good time for a Varroa, hive beetle count and queen laying. Just an overall condition chk.

I knew this day was coming. It had to be on national honeybee day. I checked my hive and it was completely empty except for a few piss ants. I collected everything and brought it up to the house. I put the 5 frames of drawn comb in the freezer. We will try again next spring. I will have several swarm traps out by February. A few lessons were learned and will be applied to next year. Thanks for all the advice and support, everyone!

With our mostly mild winters, it seems the nasty stuff is over. It will get cold but nothing debilitating. That being said, the swarm traps will be going out soon! I havenā€™t given up on bees and excited for new opportunities. Stay tuned!
Going to pick up a case of Pollen Patties, getting a little jamed up and don't have time to make my own, and some Apivar one day this week. As you said with the mild winter the bees are coming through strong. Boxes and frames are ready to go with some extra drawn comb. Looking forward to making some splits. Bee Math, just as easy as Chicken Math with a different denominator.

The plan was to put out a swarm trap today and maybe even a single deep setup perpetrating as a swarm trap. Unfortunately work called me out at 2am and 12 hours later Iā€™m done. My body is screaming for rest so the traps will be postponed for now. Wonā€™t be long though. Iā€™m ready for some more bee action! šŸ˜

Getting sick delayed swarm trap deployment, but Iā€™m starting to feel better. One is better than none!šŸ˜ A few squirts of Swarm Commander and some old comb and weā€™re ready for open house.
IMG_3717.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom