The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Getting sick delayed swarm trap deployment, but Iā€™m starting to feel better. One is better than none!šŸ˜ A few squirts of Swarm Commander and some old comb and weā€™re ready for open house.
View attachment 3756278
I'm getting a little antsy waiting for the weather to break. Hope to make at least two splits. Not putting out traps, Chiggers and ticks are out of control in this area.

Newbie question... What do you see in the hive that makes you decide to make a split?
I look at the frames that have a good number of nurse bees, eggs, larva, capped brood and a good amount of pollen and nectar stores and at least 5 frames showing this. The frames will have field bees that will return to the original hive, the age of the nurse bees will put them in the field soon enough. Look for queen cells with an egg or the queen in your split. I like to leave the queen in the home hive but it doesn't happen all the time, if not the bees will raise another if eggs are available.

Just gonna drop this here
Screenshot_20240225-223434.png

I just talked to my bee buddy this afternoon. He found some capped drone brood so itā€™s time. Of course, you saw the above post about the bees back at my sisterā€™s house. Theyā€™re moving. I ordered 20 more deep frames and hastily threw a deep box together out of some scraps. I get first dibs on his swarms and I have the bees at my sisterā€™s. Hoping it all works out! šŸ˜
IMG_3733.jpeg

I have some beeswax I want to render from the extra frames that came with the hive I bought. I got a pot at Goodwill that is going to be my "wax pot." A project for a less busy day, if I ever get one!
My wife renders the wax by placing the wax in a large coffee can which she then puts in a pot with a canning rack to keep it off the bottom of the pot, enough water to boil as not to float the coffee can, sort of a double boiler. Another option is an old crock pot that you don't need or want. One that has a warm, low and high temp knob. Formed into wax blocks for her candle making or when I want to coat foundation with an extra coat of fresh wax.

Last hive to be inspected. In the foreground is the sugar block feeder (10 LBS) 2" foam top insulation, inner cover and outer cover. Out of sight is 4 qts of syrup and pollen patty along with feeder board for syrup all wrapped with a medium hive body to contain the heat generated by the bees to keep syrup from possible night freezing temps. Check the bees at 11:00 frame capped honey stores both sides. I am a happy camper.
1rst inspection.JPG

Back
Top Bottom