The "waste" subject again. Picky birds??

I'm going to get this to raise the angle

Feed them wet feed!

I buy regular chicken crumble/mash and mix it with hot water just before I feed it. Stir it up until it is like oatmeal. They can't pick through it, and all the dust gets incorporated into the feed. I have no waste at all.

I have six hens. I measure out 2 1/2 cups of chicken feed, 1 cup of horse alfalfa pellets, 3 tbsp brown flax seed and 1 tbsp ground egg shells. They will typically eat just about all of the mash by noon. In the afternoon, they get some mixed grain scratch and whatever greens and other stuff I can scrounge.

I do my best to make sure that they eat everything I give them during the day, so there's no leftovers at night, while they still get enough to eat to be healthy. I adjust the amounts as needed.

I'm sure that that would definitely be the the solution. Unfortunately I:) already have this set up and for our schedule etc. we're going to have to try to make this work. :)

Feed them wet feed!

I buy regular chicken crumble/mash and mix it with hot water just before I feed it. Stir it up until it is like oatmeal. They can't pick through it, and all the dust gets incorporated into the feed. I have no waste at all.

I have six hens. I measure out 2 1/2 cups of chicken feed, 1 cup of horse alfalfa pellets, 3 tbsp brown flax seed and 1 tbsp ground egg shells. They will typically eat just about all of the mash by noon. In the afternoon, they get some mixed grain scratch and whatever greens and other stuff I can scrounge.

I do my best to make sure that they eat everything I give them during the day, so there's no leftovers at night, while they still get enough to eat to be healthy. I adjust the amounts as needed.

That sounds like something they would definitely enjoy! I'd love to do this for my kids during winter. They are still in brooders right now. Do your's free range at all?

Back
Top Bottom