The weather cooled down, so why aren't my hens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dracoonfly, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    When we were having our hot days here in Connecticut, I understood why my 7 girls slowed down production to 2-3 eggs per day. Now it's between 75 and 80 and they aren't any better. Yesterday was sunny, in the 70's, no humidity and absolutely NO eggs. They've been moulting, but not bad. Everything else seems very normal with them. What could be wrong?

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    are they all molting? that slows egg production too, looks like your having a bad egg year, probably by the time they finish molting it will be winter and that will be the reason for slow production. to be honest I've only had 1 laying hen all summer, and this is all very new to me but my BO gave me 5 eggs since I got her and now it seems hotter then its been all summer here in florida and her production has gone up to 6 eggs a week, I would look into what your feeding them, and if you free range then I would look into where they could be hiding the eggs.
  3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    My Coop
    Have you changed their feeding in any way? Sometimes increasing protein levels will bring them back to laying. Sounds like molting might have something to do with your reduced production though.
  4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    I think the hot weather encouraged a molt on mine. (Disclaimer: no scientific backing for that statement.)
    We had a horrible hot June , then July didn't help and we finally noticed hens looking scruffy with no tail feathers.
    Our younger ones are finally beginning to lay again. Still waiting on others!
    Feed BOSS and pamper them a bit.
  5. cindy leigh

cindy leigh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I am in CT and having a similar problem. 2 weeks ago all 12 of our hens stopped, nearly overnight. See my post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by