The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I dont know the hatchery as they were sold by my local feed store. Do you have recommendations for a breeder or hatchery?
Ask them what hatchery they buy from.
If you're just looking for some darker eggs hatchery birds should be fine.....
.....it's hard to find someone who has real good SOP lines, anyone can say they are a 'breeder'.

I need help. Clover will be 3 weeks old on Monday. I'm wondering if she is a rooster. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Hatchery stock and my thoughts. I love my wellies and the girls seem fine and look pretty and lay true to breed but the birds are still small in size and the egg size is still in the med to small.
They have been laying since Nov (6 mos now) and they just hit a year old. This is my first year with wellies and still learning about them.
soo..the long side of this is, if I could find a good breeder to establish my flock I would take the time and money to do it cause I see them as a staple in my flock. For the seasoned wellie owners, can u give me an idea of what year 2 should bring with my girls egg size snd body size . Am I being impatient?

It could be the bird but first year pullets do tend to lay smaller their first few cycles of laying. I bet by this fall or early next spring you will see a larger egg from them.
The bird I got from the breeder started out with a larger egg. Much to my happy surprise. So it could be related to selection there. She's an unusual case though I would say. Not the norm for first eggs.
This particular lady is on our threads. She sets 4-h kids up for show. And does take some to state fairs. Perhaps you can do some ground work finding a good breeder at some of the fairs and shows.

They will be part of my flock always. You've made me think about that and I agree.

Clover is a pullet.

The dark eyeliner is female.  The males are much paler eyeliner. If I were to buy a Wellie pullet chick I'd pick her!

I'd guess pullet...from eyeliner and breast color so far(tho it's little dark-might be lighting).
Couple few more weeks will tell the tale for sure.

These responses make me feel much better. I was getting worried because her comb seemed a little larger than my other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom