The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:Yes that is a Welsummer egg...I was inside of a galvanized metal structure and I used my flash inside that structure to take the picture because it was a little dark in the nest box area. Ever used a flash inside of a shiny metal building...a small shiny metal building? You get lots of glare and lots of flash. [​IMG]

Here is that egg in the second row from the left, second egg from the front. That row is all Welsummer eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_marans_wellies_and_barnies.jpg

Those are some beautiful eggs you have there! Can't wait to get me some nice wellies!

2. havinfun

havinfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    okc
    got my first welsumer today 37 of them 2 days old
    think it's close to 50/50 split a few more roosters
    have plenty of room to cull
    never had layers before but after seeing some pics then reading this thread
    thought how can i go wrong lol
    was told they come from sq stock about 50 miles from me hope so
    in any case will be looking for a sq type rooster to breed into my young ones when it's time
    i have a ? do the hens have spurs
    don't remember seeing any on the pics in here
    if they don't i'm in trouble be cause a least two of the moms did
    thanks

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I don't think the females should have spurs but it is genetic. However they would make excellent egg layers. A picture of them would help!

4. havinfun

havinfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    okc
    i don't have the hens just baby chicks
    will go back by and take a pic of the parents
    got them from a man that got his from a show
    will post a pic (try) not to good on this cpu
    guess i can always fill the fridge and get some eggs
    new i should have got mine from someone on here
    just got ants in my pants
    miss having them in the backyard
    read where they take a while to start laying wanted to get eggs asap
    oh well i got chickens!!! hopefully i'm thinking of a different pen
    thought the parents looked good but i don't know new to this but i will learn
    after i get the pick if they are not up to standards will get some more
    i want 2 maybe 3 kinds but the welsumer come first
    i want sq type and thats just so i can have something to look at
    grandpa always said it cost just as much to feed the good one as it does the bad ones
    so why not have the good ones
    thank you

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Yes that is a Welsummer egg...I was inside of a galvanized metal structure and I used my flash inside that structure to take the picture because it was a little dark in the nest box area. Ever used a flash inside of a shiny metal building...a small shiny metal building? You get lots of glare and lots of flash. [​IMG]

Here is that egg in the second row from the left, second egg from the front. That row is all Welsummer eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/11170_marans_wellies_and_barnies.jpg

Those are some beautiful eggs you have there! Can't wait to get me some nice wellies!

Thank you! I am sure you will enjoy your Wellies when you get them. They really are a lovely breed of chickens to have and enjoy. [​IMG]

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:WELCOME!!!!

Congratulations on your Welsummers. Now the hard part comes and the long wait for the beautiful eggs begins. [​IMG]

7. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your Welsummers. Now the hard part comes and the long wait for the beautiful eggs begins. [​IMG]

BOY, that's the truth!!! The hardest part is the waiting. Lucky for me (kinda) I have 2 hatchery wellies who are 9 months old now, but they give me such pretty eggs, one gives eggs with little speckles and the other girl gives me a solid terra cotta.

Pink, I hope you got my PayPal last eve. I can't wait, I can't wait, but I have to wait, I can wait, BUT I don't want too. [​IMG]
    Christine [​IMG]

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

BOY, that's the truth!!! The hardest part is the waiting. Lucky for me (kinda) I have 2 hatchery wellies who are 9 months old now, but they give me such pretty eggs, one gives eggs with little speckles and the other girl gives me a solid terra cotta.

Pink, I hope you got my PayPal last eve. I can't wait, I can't wait, but I have to wait, I can wait, BUT I don't want too. [​IMG]
    Christine [​IMG]

Yes it did. Thank you!

It's snowing and has dumped 2 inches on us this morning....it rained all night...then boom! Hoping it clears off and I can get to the Post Office....[​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just popping in to say Hi from the land of snow, ice, and NO INTERNET! I'm at my mom's now to catch up on stuff since I won't have internet for another week.

I haven't lost any birds, but with 2 power outages, I'm not too sure about the eggs in my bator. [​IMG]

10. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    Hope the weather breaks for you soon. I'm waiting on my new incubator to get delivered, then the fun begins. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by