The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. havinfun

havinfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    okc
    just ordered 25 chicks from estes
    never have ordered form a hatchery
    but read on here they have some good ones
    they hatched today so will have these as a back up
    in case the ones i got sunday are not the real deal
    guess it's long wait now for eggs

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You'll be happy with birds from Estes. I have bought from them several times and have always been more than satisfied.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi Kelly!

Still holding out lots and lots and lots of major hope for those eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Take care my friend....it will be one long week waiting to hear from you! [​IMG]

(slightly off topic..... we have our first 2 Barnevelder babies. [​IMG] [​IMG])

4. havinfun

havinfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    okc
    Quote:i messed up my internet order and they fixed it
    when i talked to them they were very very nice
    if i every order from a hatchery again it will be from them
    or if any one asks

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes they were very very nice folks and they even sent me an email when I asked about their origin of their Welsummers to make sure the story was legit.

6. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    I'm expecting a trio of Welsummer bantams at the end of the month, never kept them before, anything I need to know?

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Congratulations!

They are not any different than the LF except they CAN and WILL fly up on the rafters LOL! They are quicker than their larger cousins.

Where did you get your bantams from? I see that you are from Austria as in Europe?

8. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:Congratulations!

They are not any different than the LF except they CAN and WILL fly up on the rafters LOL! They are quicker than their larger cousins.

Where did you get your bantams from? I see that you are from Austria as in Europe?

Yep Austria, central Europe. I'm getting them from a group of hobby breeders. I'm also getting, some Bielefelder-Kennhühner, they're a German breed. Excellent for meat and eggs.
    http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...zFoyo8QPdyaWWBQ&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

No worries about the flying, my standard sized chickens are also good flyers. The Welsummers will be in a smaller coop than my other birds, but will have a large run.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Beautiful birds of crele color! Neat!

I don't know any German Breeders except maybe Verheyden, who had imported them to Canada and then to US. I am familiar with Marcel Eissel in UK and Michael in the UK Welsummer website. They are good folks.

I only have two German bantams and two Dutch bantams.

10. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:Crele colour? is that also known as duckwing? I only got into chickens after moving to Austria (I'm from the UK) so all the books I've read on poultry are German.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by