The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Anyone?

Sorry not sure, hopefully someone who has worked with Wellies longer will have more information for you [​IMG]

Hi Happy!

I'm not sure either, but one thing I know for sure is that any thing can happen. [​IMG] Give it just a little more time and I am sure someone that knows will pop by. Good to see you again! [​IMG]

2. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Can the boys start showing combs at 2 weeks old or are both boys and girls know to show combs early?

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Oh sure they can. I've had some that I can even tell at hatch- the combs will look "smushed" to one side sometimes. Those have always been boys for me. Fortunately- I figured out which one of my hens throws mostly female offspring, BUT she's the one I got the mini hen from [​IMG]

4. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I agree with Happy....they sure can. I can see nice little plump combs around day 10 and then from there they just keep going and going and going........................................................................'til one day.......COCKA-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOO! [​IMG]

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:To keep good egg color, yes, hatching the darkest eggs will help maintain it and in some cases can even improve egg color and it can get darker. But...if you like the speckled terracotta colored eggs you can set them as well. Both smooth terra cotta colored eggs and speckled terra cotta colored eggs are acceptable with Welsummers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:WOW! Already?!?!?! [​IMG] Lots and lots O' luck Les! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm very excited for you. I know how long you have been waiting to get these eggs and I appreciate your patience my friend. I hope you have an excellent hatch. Gosh....I'm still just stunned that it is lockdown already. I had it wrote down on my calendar too, just dawn on me. [​IMG]

Kim, they are rockin like crazy. Even the Charmin blue copper is rockin. I will keep you posted. Today is day 19. [​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck Les! This is great news! Hey if you get that Charmin egg to hatch it will be the first one of her eggs that has ever hatched since she started laying a few months ago. They develop and even make it to lockdown but then nothing. Got my fingers crossed bigtime for that egg!!!! And all the rest of course. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Great big Welcome to ALL the new folks joining us here in the Welsummer thread! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Harry~ Good to see you back! [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln

Yes it is possible. Get yourself a bantam roo and see what she will produce. Keep the smallest offsprings and darkest eggs from that group. Sometimes throwbacks do occur that you might end up having chicks that are LF and some are BF. If you want to go for the bantam project, you would need to keep the smallest and darkest eggs.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

Yes it is possible. Get yourself a bantam roo and see what she will produce. Keep the smallest offsprings and darkest eggs from that group. Sometimes throwbacks do occur that you might end up having chicks that are LF and some are BF. If you want to go for the bantam project, you would need to keep the smallest and darkest eggs.

Awesome! Geez- where am I going to find a tiny roo? Not that I need another project right now. I already know that somebody is planning on stealing all of my egg sales business next year, so I had to start a new project to stay one step ahead.
    Banties don't take up much space or feed though, so maybe.... [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yes it is possible. Get yourself a bantam roo and see what she will produce. Keep the smallest offsprings and darkest eggs from that group. Sometimes throwbacks do occur that you might end up having chicks that are LF and some are BF. If you want to go for the bantam project, you would need to keep the smallest and darkest eggs.

Awesome! Geez- where am I going to find a tiny roo? Not that I need another project right now. I already know that somebody is planning on stealing all of my egg sales business next year, so I had to start a new project to stay one step ahead.
    Banties don't take up much space or feed though, so maybe.... [​IMG]

Nate might have some banty roo for you in the fall if you can get a hold of him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by