The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you feel the fuzz off from them, they are feather stubs. They supposed to be CLEAN legged. How old is this cockeral? I agree with Pinkchick, worry about when it does goes down on the shank and between the toes....to freezer camp he goes!

If it was me and he is the BEST roo, I would wait and see if it grows out more if he is a very young roo which I think he is from the way his legs looks. If you get more fuzz, you will know.

2. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I got some Welsummer girls from a hatchery back in July. They are laying pretty well now, but the egg color varies. Sometimes they'll lay a dark egg, and then other times they'll lay a speckled egg. Is this normal?

Thanks!

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Welcome!

Yes this is completely normal....some lay speckled eggs and some lay very smooth colored eggs. Each hen will have her own signature eggs. [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Welcome!

Yes this is completely normal....some lay speckled eggs and some lay very smooth colored eggs. Each hen will have her own signature eggs. [​IMG]

2x

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:See Happy...this is one of the greats I was hoping would come by. [​IMG]

Just wanted to add [​IMG].....feather stubs will not grow in after hatch.....they have to have a stub or stubs upon hatch in order to have them later on down the road. They will not arbitrarily grow feather stubs as they get older, if they don't have it upon hatch they aren't going to get it later. Hope this helps.

6. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks, Pinkchick! You gave me a big smile this morning! [​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Let it be know that Pink IS one of those greats as well [​IMG]

8. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Newbie-to-Wellies question.......... is it true that the hens are not supposed to have spurs/stubs at all?

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi Bee!

Are you talking spurs on the legs or are you talking feather stubs? I'm guessing that you are talking spurs on the inside of the leg just above the foot, I had a few older hens that had spurs and they got pretty long too, but these gals were 4 years old when I got them so I don't know at what age they accquired them.
    I didn't know that Welsummers weren't suppose to have spurs, hadn't ever heard that, I thought that all breeds of chickens could have them or do have them. I must have missed something somewhere. [​IMG]

My girls have little nubs, but they are not long spurs, nor are they pointed, but all girls are 2 years old or younger, so I will watch to see if they get bigger as they get older. Odin has nubs as well that are slightly bigger than the girls', but they are not long or pointed, they are actually very rounded and smooth, he is going to be 2 years old in April.

[​IMG]

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Thanks Happy...but I am learning right along with everyone else, I learn something new everyday here on BYC and in the Welsummer thread. This place is fantastic and I wouldn't know what I think I know if it wasn't for BYC and all the great peeps here who share and contribute their experiences, wisdom and advise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by