The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, Pink! I was just reading a few pages ago in this thread that had a photo of a Wellie hen with spurs and someone questioning whether or not she should. I'm glad to hear your response, 'cuz that's what I had hoped. I was trying to remember if I'd ever had hens of any breed before that DIDN'T have spurs, and I couldn't remember any specifically. So I got worried when I read that earlier post since the 3 Wellie hens I do have all have small spurs.

2. SFIcelandics

SFIcelandics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Quote:I have been really busy, and am just getting caught up on this thread, so it may have been answered already. The answer is no, do not use her for breeding at all. There was another one that this happened to, laid a dark egg, etc, but just miniature. If you ask any of the dutch people, they will tell you it will be harder to work out the bad things, than to just breed from bantams and work on getting the eggs darker.

The question has even arose about crossing a LF hen with a BF rooster, and working that way, the dutch will tell you absolutely not.

The LF and BF were created by different breeds, but came up with the same look.

Hope this helps.

Nate

3. SFIcelandics

SFIcelandics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
  4. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    What is the earliest age that you might see salmon colored feathers coming in on the chest-our chicks are coming up on 3 weeks Monday and I see 4 with salmon colored feathers starting- and put a pink zip tie on each one and 2 have dark feathers starting and I put a blue zip tie on each one. Was a bit of a challenge to do by myself, I will be adding another zip tie color for tracking purposes and once those are on take pictures again to share and see if I am correct.

5. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Quote:Thanks for the response! I only have 2 hens, and sometimes I get two dark eggs and then other days 2 speckled. So it seems as though they are not laying eggs that are consistently the same coloring. Is that normal too?

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Can you see any difference in the combs yet? I would think that you would be seeing a couple little chubby combs coming on if they are approaching near 3 weeks. I have some that hatched on February 3rd, I will get some pics for you so we can compare what a difference one week of age should make. [​IMG]

7. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Can you see any difference in the combs yet? I would think that you would be seeing a couple little chubby combs coming on if they are approaching near 3 weeks. I have some that hatched on February 3rd, I will get some pics for you so we can compare what a difference one week of age should make. [​IMG]

Looking at them again-I am seeing little combs of varies sizes on all of them, I'll get some pictures when my DD gets home from school and can help me out [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I have been really busy, and am just getting caught up on this thread, so it may have been answered already. The answer is no, do not use her for breeding at all. There was another one that this happened to, laid a dark egg, etc, but just miniature. If you ask any of the dutch people, they will tell you it will be harder to work out the bad things, than to just breed from bantams and work on getting the eggs darker.

The question has even arose about crossing a LF hen with a BF rooster, and working that way, the dutch will tell you absolutely not.

The LF and BF were created by different breeds, but came up with the same look.

Hope this helps.

Nate

It is possible to make project Welsummers crossing over but be prepared to cull hard. If I remember right the original bantams were crossed over from LF to bantam to get the sizes they needed so it is so many generations ago. Alot of the culling has occurred over the years to perfect the Welsummer Bantams. The Dutch kept working on it pefecting the type and trying to get the egg color back into it. I would keep focusing on what we have and keep the darkest eggs forward for generations to come. Realistically, not for me or my goals for my bantams . I would not mind a few LF/BF crosses for egg layers. With all those talks of your new acquired birds from Andre, I'm tempt to sell my Germans. Seriously.

BTW, I LOVE those dark eggs your girls have been producing. And they are YUMMY! One has speckles and the other one has tiny tiny speckles, almost smooth and one has a light terra cotta speckled egg which I can not figure out who it belongs to, the bantams or LF. From what my Calicowood hen is producing, you are putting her egg color to shame LOL! Yours is a shade and two darker than hers so it is several generations apart from these two different breeders lines of Welsummers.

Oh my Calicowood hen has spurs, she had one on one leg for a year and the the following year, the other one popped up. She is now four years old. Had them as a two and half year old.

I really need a swift kick in the butt.....need to get the newsletter going!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. havinfun

havinfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    okc
    Quote:here are a couple pics
    thought just 2 had spurs but all the hens do
    what ya think
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80418_3_years_358.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80418_3_years_359.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80418_3_years_364.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80418_3_years_362.jpg

Hens will get spurs with age, but they look younger? Are these birds from hatchery stock?

Nate

no these are not from a hatchery
    they are under 2 years i think is what he said
    the man they came from got them from another
    guy at a show
    so maybe somewhere down the line ?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:Thanks Happy, Pink and Ewe [​IMG]. He is 12 weeks...did not show these at hatch. So maybe my best girl is clear for this and he will get a stay of execution [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by