The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. outback hatcher

outback hatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

My lone wellie pullet finally started laying for me.
    These are eggs # 5 & 6. My wife baked a cake & made eggs sandwiches with the others just can't beat the taste of fresh eggs
    Now it's time to start saving them up for my bator

Next to my jap btb eggs ( 2 pullets these are their first 3 eggs) and a store bought white

with out flash
    [​IMG]

with flash
    [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    love all the pretty egg pictures!!

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Les!!!!!!!! I need some news on some chickies!! [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Purple eggs!!! What a novelty! How did that come about?!

I had one that did lay a purplish egg and about a week, she laid normal terra cotta eggs. bummer LOL!

Yes, I agree with Pinkchick...need the news of chickies!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Thanks Happy...but I am learning right along with everyone else, I learn something new everyday here on BYC and in the Welsummer thread. This place is fantastic and I wouldn't know what I think I know if it wasn't for BYC and all the great peeps here who share and contribute their experiences, wisdom and advise. [​IMG]

It is one of the reasons why I am nominating you to be the secretary LOL! Watch out for the e-newsletter on that one! I would need everyone's votes on it as soon as you get the message or newsletter regarding to Pinkchick. If anyone one else wants to run for secretary, please do let me know!

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:From time to time my girls will lay a purplish hue'd looking egg just like my Marans do. I also see it on my Barnevelder eggs. I think it is just extra heavy bloom and have seen it run its course and they go back to normal, though I did have a Splash Marans hen that laid these eggs almost every day that she laid. They were the prettiest light lilacy smokey purplish looking eggs. I think all breeds of chickens can do this but it is easier to see on the darker eggs and blue eggs. I have also seen it on my lighter tan or cream colored eggs but it expresses as more of a white color. I have seen it cover the egg and be very smooth and I have also seen it just be speckled on the egg in tiny little speckles. The only thing about these eggs that I have found is that they are very hard to hatch. I tried to hatch many of my girls purplish eggs last year and on my last attempt 2 finally hatched, I gave them to a friend and one lays a nice dark Marans egg and the other lays an egg that has that same purplish cast as her mothers egg does. When these purplish colored eggs are wet they look normal and then dry back to purplish hue'd overtone and I have found that it is a very think coating and with copious amounts of scrubbing it does not wash off, the only way I found to remove any of this coating was to sand it off. [​IMG]

Truth be told....I love it when I see one of those purplish eggs in the nest box...the ones I love the most are the Wellie eggs that have this and they are the Terra Cotta color underneath and the purplish color only happens on the speckling or speckles....has anyone ever seen that? I love them...the 2 colors melded together, like they were put on in layers...what a contrast. [​IMG]

BTW: Beautiful eggs everyone! Congrats to all who have layers coming back on board or who have new layers just starting up. It's always egg-citing! [​IMG]

7. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous chicks I must say! I've been looking for some breeding eggs overhere but no one is sending eggs by post overhere, and from overseas for just 5 eggs is way to expensive. I must say that the US version has much more bright color's then the ones over here in the Netherlands.

8. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Here are some up dated pictures of our babies- they will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. We have them labeled as to what we think they are- please let us know if we miss labeled anyone!

Blue/yellow band: Boy 1
    [​IMG]

Blue/orange band: Boy 2
    [​IMG]

Pink/yellow band: Girl 1
    [​IMG]

Pink/orange band: Girl 2
    [​IMG]

Pink/neon green band: Girl 3
    [​IMG]

Pink/white band: Girl 4
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Hens & Roos- do you have more pics of girls 2 and 4?

Also- I get those purple eggs from one of my blue brahmas. And they're weeble-shaped, if anybody remembers weebles [​IMG]

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hens~

I think that you are good on all of them with the exception of the last chick.....I would say that is a cockerel. The photo is pretty fuzzy but it appears to have a bigger comb and the smudge behind the eye looks like that of a male. Hoping that someone that may be able to see them a bit more clearly comes by and gives their opinion as well. [​IMG] I wasn't able to get any photos of my kiddos yesterday but I have the camera ready to go this morning and sitting by the door.

San~ [​IMG] I sure hope you are able to get some of these wonderful birds soon. Are folks over there not shipping because of the weather?

Robin~ Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by