The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pinkchick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hens~

I think that you are good on all of them with the exception of the last chick.....I would say that is a cockerel. The photo is pretty fuzzy but it appears to have a bigger comb and the smudge behind the eye looks like that of a male. Hoping that someone that may be able to see them a bit more clearly comes by and gives their opinion as well. [​IMG] I wasn't able to get any photos of my kiddos yesterday but I have the camera ready to go this morning and sitting by the door.

San~ [​IMG] I sure hope you are able to get some of these wonderful birds soon. Are folks over there not shipping because of the weather?

Robin~ Thank you!

2. NCSprout

NCSprout Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Sophia, NC
    Quote:Yes! I got one a few days ago, the egg was the typical color for my girl, but the speckles had the purple tint. It's the only one I've gotten like that so far.

3. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Okay we took another shot of girls 2 & 4, this was the best way we could think of to get better shots, let me know if you need something else [​IMG]

Pink/orange band: Girl 2
    [​IMG]

Pink/white band: Girl 4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] hopefully these are still both girls!!!

4. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hens~

That photo looks like #2 is a cockerel and #4 is a pullet. I went back looked at the photos again and am sticking with my original guesses and think you were right about all of them but the last chick photo'd. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  5. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:I'm confused now, so you you think that the last chick photo'd in my post of 6 pictures is a cockeral? That one is labeled pink/white girl #4 and is the same as #4 in the group of 2 pictures I just posted. What are you seeing in pink/orange band girl #2 that makes you think it's a cockeral- because we see the salmon colored feathers coming in on the sides of the chest- do we have a chick who is confused to what it is?????? [​IMG] Guess we will continue to watch and see what the next week or so brings!

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Then I responded to your original post with this: re: the chick in the last photo and why I thought it looked like a cockerel. [​IMG]

Hens~

I think that you are good on all of them with the exception of the last chick.....I would say that is a cockerel. The photo is pretty fuzzy but it appears to have a bigger comb and the smudge behind the eye looks like that of a male. Hoping that someone that may be able to see them a bit more clearly comes by and gives their opinion as well.​

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Then you updated photos with these and in this photo it makes girl 2 look like a male. Maybe it's just me. [​IMG] And girl 4 is definately a pullet. [​IMG]

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    So did I get confused somewhere? Help me here! [​IMG]

Okay.....so I found where I was confused. Just ignore me for a while. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. Hens and Roos

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:that's okay we can be confused together [​IMG] and for further confusing fun I am posting 2 more pictures as a comparison!

Welsummer chicks: boy #2(blue-orange band) and girl #2(pink-orange band):
    [​IMG]

Welsummer chicks: boy #2(blue-orange band) and girl #4(pink-white band):
    [​IMG]

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Your completely right. [​IMG] My bad....didn't mean to cause confusion. That's what I get for talking on the phone and trying to read posts at the same time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by