The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My wellie girls- and a few other LF- have decided they don't want to use the nest boxes anymore.
rant.gif
So much for the colorful egg basket! The occasional egg I find in the woods & wood shop don't have a date on them, so I have to give them back to the birds. Bah!

I didn't have this problem last year- don't know why it's happening now
idunno.gif
Maybe they're all getting broody?

I hatched 3 chicks in March- all boys. Had a broody hatch 3 more a couple weeks back- all girls! At least I finally got some females after 5 attempts! I have 2 lovely EEs in with the wellies now. Hoping I get another broody so I can hatch some olive eggers- if I can find the eggs, that is.

Quote:
When my hens start laying in places other than the nestboxes they lose their free range privileges for a couple of days. It is not so much of a punishment as it is keeping them close to the nestboxes so that is where they have a habit of laying. If they get used to laying elsewhere then you will have an egg hunt everyday.

Our new Welsummer chicks....born on April 9th/10th and purchased from a wonderful local (Thank you again!)

welliesapril20th.jpg

Tender on the left, Noodle on the right.

We got to see some full-grown Welsummer hens and a gorgeous Welsummer rooster when we picked our girls up. I can't wait to see how these two end up looking!

Quote:
When my hens start laying in places other than the nestboxes they lose their free range privileges for a couple of days. It is not so much of a punishment as it is keeping them close to the nestboxes so that is where they have a habit of laying. If they get used to laying elsewhere then you will have an egg hunt everyday.

I did try that- I swear they were "holding"the eggs until they got back out. I hate leaving them in- the coop is fine for nighttime, but not great for long term. Going to try again because if my cochin stays broody I'm going to take advantage of it!
wink.png

Quote:

I did try that- I swear they were "holding"the eggs until they got back out. I hate leaving them in- the coop is fine for nighttime, but not great for long term. Going to try again because if my cochin stays broody I'm going to take advantage of it!
wink.png

Can you create a temporary run that will keep them close to the coop?

Quote:
wink.png

Can you create a temporary run that will keep them close to the coop?

Well- I kept them in for a few days- hoping for some eggs to put under the broody. I got one lovely egg, and then I found them all in the corner of the coop pecking at the ground. I think one of the girls doesn't like the nest box- and they were eating an egg. Since I added 2 EEs to the coop, everyone was pooping in the nestbox all night, so I moved it. I think that's why.
We do have an unused 6 x 12 dog kennel that would be a good pen, but there is no way to connect it to their coop- it opens onto a shared deck
sad.png

After I'm able to hatch some olive eggers, I guess I'll move the EEs back out and put the box back where it was. I had to move my Buttercups as well- they started a trend of hiding eggs in the strangest places. They haven't layed in the boxes for over a month
he.gif

The Wellies are happy as can be since I let them out today. Keeping the Ameraucanas inside so they can have access to the garden without being harassed. Sheesh- it's like having a bunch of teenagers running around!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom