The Welsummer Thread!!!!

clap.gif

Quote:
Congrats. The show was fun
smile.png

Thanks, It was a very nice show !
thumbsup.gif
I believe my welsummers are mostly channing grishhams line, but I crossed in another line or two for type & size.
The time sure does fly, when talking chickens.
lol.png

I donated 1 doz of my welsummer eggs to get some one else started, & in support of the show. I will definatly be showing soon again.
For now I need to get caught up on my breeding,& hatching all this showing slowed me down on my hatching. MY incubator is all fired up and full !
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
We'll be picking up two 9-10 day old Welsummer chicks this evening! I imagine there will be photos before too long....assuming we can remember to get the camera rather than oohing and aahing over them!

Quote:
The chick in the first and last photo with the extra spot behind the eye, have you (or anyone else) seen much of that? I have one hen producing those and I figured it is actually a Pene X Wellie and I sell them as unsexed, dark egg layer mutts as Pene of both sexes have markings on their faces.

I forgot to mention that I concur with PinkChick on all of the rest. Good pictures.
thumbsup.gif

I really can't say as this is my first experience with Welsumers and chickens for that matter. We did tour the breeder's pens and there definitely weren't any Penes (assuming you mean Penedesenca). He had some RIR, Langshans, BCM and Ameracaunas though. He seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping the breeders confined to their respective breeds, but we do have a runt that had me wondering before you brought up the eyeliner. The runt has odd coloring on its head and its feet are as bright yellow as the others. I guess we'll just have to see how they grow out. I really hope to get a pair or a trio that are pretty decent quality, but if I don't I can live with that. I'm just getting started, so I really don't know a whole lot just yet.

Last edited:
Quote:
The chick in the first and last photo with the extra spot behind the eye, have you (or anyone else) seen much of that? I have one hen producing those and I figured it is actually a Pene X Wellie and I sell them as unsexed, dark egg layer mutts as Pene of both sexes have markings on their faces.

I forgot to mention that I concur with PinkChick on all of the rest. Good pictures.
thumbsup.gif

I really can't say as this is my first experience with Welsumers and chickens for that matter. We did tour the breeder's pens and there definitely weren't any Penes (assuming you mean Penedesenca). He had some RIR, Langshans, BCM and Ameracaunas though. He seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping the breeders confined to their respective breeds, but we do have a runt that had me wondering before you brought up the eyeliner. The runt has odd coloring on its head and its feet are as bright yellow as the others. I guess we'll just have to see how they grow out. I really hope to get a pair or a trio that are pretty decent quality, but if I don't I can live with that. I'm just getting started, so I really don't know a whole lot just yet.

Yep, Pene = Penedesenca. A Partridge Penedesenca is going to look a lot like a Welsummer so I can see someone putting one in a Welsummer pen on accident. Or someone might have done it on purpose if their Welsummer eggs weren't dark enough. I wish that I had trap nests so that I could figure out which hen it is but I'm sure she'll be gone in the fall when I rotate out all but a couple of the best hens.

Oh no, I had bought about 18 of these little beauties, and was pretty sure about 14 were pullets. But now, they are 2 weeks old and it looks more and more like I may have only 8 or 9 pullets. Was so hoping to have at least a dozen pullets to start off my wellie flock with. Guess we will know for sure is a few weeks. What will I do with all the extra roos.

I'm so happy with one of the little cockerals I'm growing out.....my monster roo Odin only has 3 points on his comb but the rest of him is great and until now I haven't hatched one boy from him that had a nice comb. This little guy has 5 points that look great. He is also taking on the size of his daddy which makes me very happy.
smile.png
I will try to post some pics of him soon.

Back
Top Bottom