The Welsummer Thread!!!!

10 Day old Wellie rooster from Estes. I wanted to get pictures of his two wellie sisters but they did NOT want to be picked up. This little guy (tentatively named Sue a la Johnny Cash) is pretty aggressive, or "active" maybe is better. He runs all over the place and does NOT share hard boiled egg treats. When I put my hand in the brooder he is right there stepping on it to get more treats. He pecks a little bit more than the others (at the food in my hand or my ring) All typical roo behavior???

The red on his breast is from the hatchery to mark him as a roo. What do you think all?!?!? Any tips on handling him? He seems like a handful. One more pic of the (gal???) he like to chest bump....... What do you think of this EE, does my roo have competition??

My Wellies start to lay at 6 mos. almost like clock work. Had one girl drag her feet a little but it was only by a couple weeks. LOL I have a gal that is almost (like a couple weeks away) 5 mos. old, she was scratching in the nest box the other day. When I tossed her out she went right back in. The next day she was back at it...but it must have been a phase as I haven't seen her back in there, but I haven't been home to watch her. Wouldn't that be lovely if she was going to be an early bird! Pun intended!
wink.png
smile.png

Time for pictures! The eggs are darker than this picture shows, but it's the best I could do. The lower right is a green egg, but in the picture it doesn't even look green.

10195.jpg

Wednesday evening I picked up 6 Wellies from a breeder nearby. When I decided that I wanted to start a flock, I really wanted them but couldn't find them locally. So, I decided that I would just get half-of-a-dozen pullets from the feed store to start out. I ordered the feed store chicks and the very next day I saw an add on Craigslist. My wife didn't put up too much of a fight so...here they are.

There are two older birds that I believe to be pullets, but there only 3-4 weeks so I'm not really sure at all.

47715_zw_older.jpg

47715_zw_dumdum.jpg

There are also week-old chicks. I tried to sex them based on the eye-liner and head spot, but I have no idea. Two do have much more feathering on the wing now, so I'm guessing they'd be pullets.

47715_zw_pullet.jpg

47715_zw_pullet2.jpg

These two have less feathering on the wing, roos maybe? Any input would be welcomed.

47715_zw_roos.jpg

The little guy on the right doesn't seem to have a pronounced eye-liner or head spot (comparatively). They guy/girl on the left is they one that is hardest though, as the head spot and eye-liner are fairly well-defined. The wings aren't really feathered up though.

Last edited:
I now have 2 welsummers laying. Cleopatra laid her first egg today. I found it on the ground outside the coop. I was wondering what all the racket was up at the coop - she's got a voice that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom