The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Do you think the coloring is alright? Do they get darker as they lay more? I noticed that one side of the egg was scratched up a bit. Is it normal for the coating to be scratched off? (I've heard of this on Marans, but not welsummers)

These are my first welsummers, so I'm not sure what to expect.

That is totally normal to have the "color" scratched off the egg.

The color should get darker. It all depends on the hens. I have grisham and john hall birds, and some of my pullets start out laying a lighter egg their first few, but they catch right up once they start laying the bigger eggs... I havent really noticed any of them getting lighter yet, but they have only been laying here in WI for about a month.

Hope that helps!

Nate

Yes they should darken a bit as she gets the kinks worked out of the system. They spray the color on just like the Marans do so I could see where they could put some scratches in it. None of my gals ever left a scratch in their egg....it's like lay it and forget it around here. Once the egg left the building they were outta there. My girl that I have left is the same way, she has absolutely no interest in her eggs.

I do think that the color is good for her first egg. Collect for a couple of weeks if you can and then post those pretties for our veiwing pleasure.
wink.png

smile.png

Thanks guys!

Pink, it was scratched because it was under the feeder. So I'm sure the "traffic" to the feeder caused it to be scratched. I don't know how long it was there, I collected it before lunch though. I suspect it was early morning because she was pacing yesterday and being more vocal.

I'll be sure to post in a couple weeks for the color. Hopefully by then, my other pullet will be laying!

ETA: I forgot to add that the egg was also fertile! Go Moose!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nate,
You fail to mention those lovely Longcrowers in your tagline.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Still waiting to see an egg. I think one of the girls is getting close, maybe even two, they are getting red in the comb and wattles and feeling like they are getting a bit "softer" bone around the vent. I hope so, I am dying to have my own eggs again!
fl.gif

Yes, I do need to add the longcrowers!!! And my light sussex... I ordered some sussex eggs, and they were shipped on wednesday, still havent gotten them, never got the tracking number emailed to me either.

Also adding more light sussex(greenfire and more Dinger birds). and Buckeyes! Im going to stick to heritage breeds.

I love my welsummers, but the light sussex that I got from you, are the friendliest things, my 1 pullet that I ended up with out of the bunch loves sitting on my arm and pecking at the hairs, rings, anything she can find entertaining... The other 4 are roosters. Looking at them, I almost think there is a Delaware, 2 LS, and a ? rooster, Ill have to get pics... The 2(maybe delaware and ? I am not sure what they are, but definately not light sussex, one is BROWN AND BLACK ALL OVER!

Nate

I also need to take of the pen of Lowell Barber birds, as you got them all! I hope they start laying for you soon, and they will have beautiful eggs. Its nicer only having one pen of welsummers, so I can have the LS now too!!!

My bantam welsummers are VERY fertile, and hatching at over 90%! Even my LF welsummers are doing great laying. Usually 6 or 7 eggs a day! And most of them are fertile. i just put over 100 eggs in the incubator yesterday from all of the bantams, LF, ducks, guineas, etc.

Nate

I only have one Welsummer, and she was very slow to mature. She was probably about 10 1/2 months before she started laying, and is a hatchery bird that I bought at the Urban Farm Store in Portland. I am really impressed with the color of her eggs. Knowing she was from a hatchery I didn't expect much, but her eggs are a very dark terra cotta. Almost darker than that. I guess you never know what you will get.

Quote:
Nate, do you think your Sussex girl is preening you????
lol.png
Be careful, she will tell your partner to MOVE over!
gig.gif

I do not know if anyone has Coronation Sussex BANTAMS, not the LF. Maybe someone out there is starting up.

I got another egg yesterday and this one was much darker.
ya.gif
And probably not considered desirable, but it is speckled. It's gorgeous! I have a photo I'll put up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom